The Resource Agency history of the Virginia Commissary of Stores

Agency history of the Virginia Commissary of Stores

Label
Agency history of the Virginia Commissary of Stores
Title
Agency history of the Virginia Commissary of Stores
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Member of
Action
  • Created
  • Reviewed
Biographical or historical data
  • The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774.
  • The office of the state agent and commissary of stores was created by an ordinance passed by the third revolutionary convention on August 21, 1775. In 1777 the office was divided, and different persons were appointed state agent and commissary of stores. William Armistead, who served as commissary of stores until the office was discontinued in February 1782, was responsible for the storage and distribution of supplies acquired by the state agent's office for the troops in the Illinois country, Pennsylvania, and in Virginia. After February 1782, the commissary's functions were assumed first by the commercial agent, then by the quartermaster general in October 1782.
Cataloging source
VIC
Label
Agency history of the Virginia Commissary of Stores
Note
  • This is not a record. It is background information for Virginia's state government records
  • Agency history compiled in 1990; reviewed in 2009
  • Part of Record Group 2
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000491503

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...