The Resource Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation

Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation

Label
Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation
Title
Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Action
  • Created
  • Revised
  • Revised
Biographical or historical data
  • The Department of Conservation and Recreation was created in 1989 by an act of the General Assembly. Charged with the mission to "conserve, protect, enhance and advocate the wise use of the Commonwealth's unique natural, historic, recreational, scenic and cultural resources," the Department of Conservation and Recreation is comprised of the following divisions: State Parks; Soil and Water Conservation; Natural Heritage Program; Recreational Planning; and Dam Safety.
  • The Department of Conservation and Recreation has a long history, beginning in 1926 with the establishment of the State Commission on Conservation and Development. The State Commission on Conservation and Development consolidated the powers and duties of the Water Power and Development Commission, the State Geological Commission, the State Geological Survey, the State Geologist, the State Forester, and the Division of Parks. In 1927, the Division of Advertising and Publicity was added, followed by the Bureau of History and Archaeology in 1928.
  • In 1936, the State Commission on Conservation and Development gained custody, control and supervision of the World War I memorial, the Carillon in Richmond's Byrd Park, from the Virginia War Memorial Commission, which was abolished.
  • In 1938, the State Commission on Conservation and Development became the Virginia Conservation Commission, with no change in duty. The Southwest Virginia Museum became the responsibility of the Virginia Conservation Commission in 1944, when the museum was established through a donation by C. Bascom Slemp.
  • The name of the department was changed once again in 1948, this time to the Department of Conservation and Development. In 1958, the Department of Conservation and Development was renamed the Department of Conservation and Economic Development, and three new divisions were added: the Division of Industrial Development, the Division of Mineral Resources, and the Division of Public Relations and Advertising.
  • Throughout the history of the Department of Conservation and Economic Development, there were many name changes for the divisions within the department. In 1968, the Division of Public Relations and Advertising became the Virginia State Travel Service, and was renamed the Virginia Division of Tourism in 1982. In 1974, the Division of Geology became the Division of Mineral Resources.
  • New divisions were created in the Department of Conservation and Economic Development as the need arose. In 1969, the Division of Mined Land Reclamation was created. In 1978, the Division of Litter Control was added, as a new division. In 1979, the Cave Commission was established within the Dept. of Conservation and Economic Development. As divisions were created, other moved to other areas of state government. In 1972, the Division of Water Resources was transferred to the State Water Control Board.
  • In 1984, the Dept. of Conservation and Development changed its name to the Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources, with a restructuring of the divisions of the Department. The new Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources was comprised of the following: the Commission on Conservation and Development of Local Beaches, the Cave Commission, the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, and the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Commission.
  • As part of the restructuring process that created the Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources, several divisions of the Dept. of Conservation and Economic Development were elevated to the status of Department within state government, while other divisions were abolished. The Division of Industrial Development and the Virginia Division of Tourism were combined to create the Department of Economic Development. The Division of Mineral Resources became the Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy, and incorporated the Coal Surface Mining Review Board, and several elements from the Department of Labor and Industry - the Division of Mines, Virginia Oil and Gas Conservation Board, and the Virginia Well Review Board. The following commissions were abolished under this same act: The Commission on Outdoor Recreation and the War Memorial Commission.
  • As in previous incarnations of the agency, some responsibilities of the Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources were transferred to other state agencies. In 1987, the Division of Litter Control was transferred to the Department of Waste Management. The Division of Forestry was elevated to the Department of Forestry in 1986.
  • Also, responsibilities of other agencies were transferred to the Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources. In 1985, the Soils and Water Conservation Commission was transferred to the Department. The Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission was also transferred to the Department. The Dam Safety Program was transferred into the Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources in 1986. And in 1988, the Dept. of Conservation and Historic Resources assumed responsibility over the Chippokes Plantation Farm Foundation.
  • In 1989, the Department of Conservation underwent another restructuring - this time to form the Dept. of Conservation and Recreation. With this restructuring, the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission became the Dept. of Historic Resources.
  • Publications include pamphlets and brochures on the park system, 4-H guides, maps, and Grassroots, a quarterly newsletter on soil and water conservation.
Cataloging source
VIC
Label
Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation
Note
  • Record Group 18
  • This is not a record. It is background information for Virginia's state government records
  • Agency history compiled in 1990; revised in 2003 and 2010
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Immediate source of acquisition
Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000491522

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...