The Resource Alterations and Additions [Virginia State] Library Building, (architectural drawings)

Alterations and Additions [Virginia State] Library Building, (architectural drawings)

Label
Alterations and Additions [Virginia State] Library Building, 1929.
Title
Alterations and Additions [Virginia State] Library Building
Inclusive dates
1929.
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • These drawings are for modifications to the building in Capitol Square (formerly known as the Old Finance Building, now the Oliver Hill Building) that housed the Virginia State Library from 1895 to 1940. The changes designed by Carneal, Johnston & Wright altered the front facade of the building in an effort to harmonize it with the Virginia State Capitol. Accordingly, Palladian and circular windows on either wing were removed in favor of square sash-type windows, terra cotta decoration was removed from the corner niches in favor of brick and marble, the ground floor arcade was enclosed for office space, and the roof baulustrade was replaced with a parapet treatment
  • This folder includes forty-eight pages of specifications for the project
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Cataloging source
Vi
Location of originals duplicates
See LVA accession 42607 for original linens.
Label
Alterations and Additions [Virginia State] Library Building, (architectural drawings)
Note
Located in the LVA General Architectural Files Collection, Folder 66
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Dimensions
61 x 91 cm.
Extent
5
Immediate source of acquisition
Donor information unavailable.
Other physical details
Blueprints
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001503564
Representative fraction of scale
Scale: Various.
Reproduction note
Blueprints.
Type of unit
sheets

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...