The Resource Arlington County (Va.) Dismissals at Rules

Arlington County (Va.) Dismissals at Rules

Label
Arlington County (Va.) Dismissals at Rules, 1790-1864
Title
Arlington County (Va.) Dismissals at Rules
Inclusive dates
1790-1864
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Arlington County (Va.) County Dismissals at Rules, 1790-1864 (bulk 1797-1838), consist of court suits heard in the Hustings Court of Alexandria and the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia. The suits were disposed of without trial of the issues involved, predominantly debt. The suits were dismissed either voluntarily by the parties involved or involuntarily by the court. There are references to slave names in the collection
Member of
Action
Described,
Biographical or historical data
  • Arlington County was originally named Alexandria County. It was formed from a portion of Fairfax County that Virginia in 1789 ceded to the federal government for use as the site of a new national capital. In 1801 the area officially became part of the District of Columbia, although Congress named it Alexandria County. By an act of 9 July 1846, Congress returned the county to Virginia, and the General Assembly extended the commonwealth's jurisdiction over the region effective 20 March 1847. By an act of assembly passed 16 March 1920, the county's name was changed to Arlington, the name of the Custis family mansion (the home of Robert E. Lee), which is located in the county. An urban county, Arlington contains no incorporated towns or cities. The county courthouse is in the county.
  • Alexandria, in Fairfax and Arlington Counties, was named for John Alexander, an early owner of the tract in Fairfax County on which the town was located. The act to establish Alexandria was passed in 1749. Its site had previously been known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and as Belhaven. Alexandria was incorporated as a town in 1779 and was ceded to the federal government in 1789 for use as part of the site of the new national capital. It officially became part of the District of Columbia in 1801 and was renamed Alexandria County by Congress. By an act of 9 July 1846, Alexandria County, including the town of Alexandria, was retroceded to Virginia, which took jurisdiction over the area on 20 March 1847. The town was incorporated as a city in 1852.
Label
Arlington County (Va.) Dismissals at Rules
Note
These items came to the Library of Virginia in a transfer of court papers from Arlington County
Arrangement
Arranged chronologically.
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
7.00
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Arlington County Circuit Court
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001681571
Terms governing use
There are no restrictions.
Type of unit
cu. ft. (7 boxes)

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...