The Resource Arlington County (Va.) Washington Township Board Minutes

Arlington County (Va.) Washington Township Board Minutes

Label
Arlington County (Va.) Washington Township Board Minutes, 1871-1875
Title
Arlington County (Va.) Washington Township Board Minutes
Inclusive dates
1871-1875
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Arlington County (Va.) Washington Township Board Minutes, 1871-1875, consists of minutes and accounts relating to the administrative functions of a township board of the county. Information recorded includes names of board members, levies, capitation taxes, acts related to public roads, revision of road districts, road overseer appointments, bridge building contracts, and accounts claimed against the township board for roads and officials' services, and other financial business
Member of
Action
Described
Biographical or historical data
  • Arlington County was originally named Alexandria County. It was formed from a part of Fairfax County that was ceded to the U.S. government in 1789 but was returned to Virginia in 1846. The county name was changed in 1920 to Arlington, the name of the Custis family mansion (former home of Robert E. Lee), which is located in the county.
  • The 1870 Virginia Constitution required that each county in the state be divided into no less than three townships (see Article VII, section 2). Based on the New England administrative organization of a county, each township would elect the administration officials for the offices of supervisor, clerk, assessor, collector, commissioner of the roads, overseer of the poor, justice of the peace, and constable. The supervisors of each township would comprise the board of supervisors for the county, and would be responsible for auditing the county accounts, examining the assessors' books, regulating property valuation, and fixing the county levies. The Acts of Assembly provided that each township be divided into school and electoral districts (see Acts of Assembly 1869-1870, Chapter 39). A constitutional amendment in 1874 changed the townships into magisterial districts and each district elected one supervisor, three justices of the peace, one constable, and one overseer of the poor. The supervisors of the districts made up the county board of supervisors whose duties were identical as those set out in 1870. The published Acts of Assembly appended a list of township names by county following the acts for every year that townships existed in Virginia.
Cataloging source
Vi
Label
Arlington County (Va.) Washington Township Board Minutes
Note
  • This item came to the Library of Virginia in a transfer of court papers from Arlington County
  • This item is located at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Arlington County Circuit Court
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001620084
Terms governing use
There are no restrictions.
Type of unit
v.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...