The Resource Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities architectural drawings

Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities architectural drawings

Label
Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities architectural drawings, ca. 1984
Title
Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities architectural drawings
Inclusive dates
ca. 1984
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Architectural drawings, ca. 1984, of Bacon's Castle (Surry County, Va.) for the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. This collection includes 34 drawings (30 black and white and 4 color) of a variety of views as the site and buildings have changed over the centuries. Some of these include isometric, elevations, and cutaway drawings of the historic mansion; map of Bacon's Castle in relation to other cities in Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina; interior views and details of the halls, chambers, and furnishings; and outbuildings including a barn, slave quarters, wood shop, and chicken coop, among many others. The four color drawings are all interior views of the kitchen, dining room, and chamber rooms
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • Bacon's Castle is a rare surviving example of Jacobean architecture in America. Built in 1665, the house was home to a prosperous planter, Arthur Allen (ca. 1608-1669). Allen also planted a garden adjacent to his house for the use of his family and household. The house passed to Major Arthur Allen at his father's death. A supporter of the colonial governor and member of the House of Burgesses, Allen was driven from his house in 1676 when Nathaniel Bacon and men staged what came to be known as Bacon's Rebellion.
  • The house had many owners throughout the eighteenth century. John Henry Hankins purchased the Castle in 1844 and later built a Greek Revival addition. Later in 1880, Charles Warren purchased the house. His grandson, Walker Pegram Warren lived in the house until his death in 1972. Through a purchase agreement, the APVA bought the house and began a research and restoration effort. The APVA opened Bacon's Castle in 1983 to the public.
Cataloging source
VIC
Location of originals duplicates
APVA,
Label
Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities architectural drawings
Note
  • See Private Papers Location Database for stacks location
  • CD # 189, 190, and 191
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Dimensions
40 x 29 in. and smaller ;
Extent
34 sheets
Governing access note
There are no access restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
APVA,
Other physical details
digital prints
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001578751
Reproduction note
Digital prints.
Type of unit
.17 cu. feet.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...