The Resource Barton Heights Woman's Club records

Barton Heights Woman's Club records

Label
Barton Heights Woman's Club records, 1908-1967
Title
Barton Heights Woman's Club records
Inclusive dates
1908-1967
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Records, 1908-1967, of the Barton Heights Woman's Club of Richmond, Virginia, consisting of minute books, scrapbooks, yearbooks, club histories, magazines, awards and honors, photographs, programs, invitations, cards, correspondence, napkins, reports, and clippings documenting the history and activities of the club
  • Records document the history of the club's involvement with children and their education, as well as charity, volunteer, and fund-raising projects, including their efforts during both World Wars. There is much information regarding the affiliation and cooperation with the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs, beginning in 1921. The organization participated in relief work under the auspices of the War Relief Association of Virginia (beginning in 1916), joining the American Red Cross (1917), and helping with bandages, first aid classes, and war bonds during World War II. In 1957, a fund was started for recreational equipment for adolescents at the Virginia Treatment Center for Children. Additionally, there is information on affiliated organizations, including the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs, the Needlework Guild of America, and the Anna Massey School of Dancing
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
  • Revised
Biographical or historical data
The club was first organized 16 February 1907 in Barton Heights, a suburb of Richmond, Virginia, when some women decided to start and maintain a kindergarten project. It was first named the Mothers' Club of Barton Heights. At the same time, similar clubs were organized throughout the U.S. and called "Mother's Club," "Parents' Circle," "Parent-Teacher Association," etc., with the objective of working with parents and teachers for the interests of the children in the school, home, and community. As the interests of the club were broadened beyond children's education and because its objective encompassed the "promotion of educational, philanthropic, civic, and social concerns," the name of the club was changed to Woman's Club of Barton Heights 1 November 1911, and the club joined the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs in April 1921. The final name, Barton Heights Woman's Club, was adopted 23 October 1929. The club was disbanded 24 May 1967.
Cataloging source
Vi
Label
Barton Heights Woman's Club records
Link
http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/lva/vi01874.html
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Cumulative index finding aids
Inventory
Extent
2.625
Immediate source of acquisition
Leath, A. A.
Organization method
Organized into the following series: I. Minute Books (1908-1967). II. Scrapbooks (1916-1967); III. Yearbooks (1935-1967). IV. Miscellaneous records.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498005
Reproduction note
Photocopies.
Type of unit
cu. ft.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...