The Resource Clifton Forge (Va.) Deeds

Clifton Forge (Va.) Deeds

Label
Clifton Forge (Va.) Deeds, 1906-1987
Title
Clifton Forge (Va.) Deeds
Inclusive dates
1906-1987
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Clifton Forge (Va.) Deeds, 1906-1987 consist of deeds of bargain and sale, deeds of gift, mortgages, and deeds of trust. On presentation to the court, deeds were proved and recorded. If the deed was not witnessed, the grantor acknowledged the deed in open court. A few of the deeds include plats
  • Deeds of bargain and sale are the most commonly recorded deed in which one individual sells property, usually land, but occasionally personal property, to another individual. Such deeds show the names of the grantor and grantee, the residence of both parties, a description of what is being sold, the consideration (or price), the location of the tract of land, the tract's boundaries, and any limitations on the property being sold. The deed was signed by the grantor, and possibly his wife or anyone else having a claim to the property, and by at least two witnesses. Appended to the deed may be a memorandum of livery of seisin, stating that the property has changed hands and that peaceful possession has taken place
  • Deeds of gift are often found transferring property, either real or personal, from one individual to another "for love and affection." The degree of kinship, if any, between the grantor and grantee is sometimes stated
  • Mortgages and deeds of trust were deeds where one party is indebted to another and transfers or mortgages property to a third party to secure the debt
  • The collection may include additional record types that were recorded in deed books such as officials' bonds, fiduciary records, marriage records, road and bridge records, and bills of sale
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Clifton Forge, in Alleghany County, was named for James Clifton's iron furnace, which was located in the Iron Gate Gorge by 1828. Known as Williamson's Station in 1857 when the railroad arrived, it was established as a town in 1861 and took the name Clifton Forge when it was incorporated in 1884. Clifton Forge became a city by court order in 1906. In 2001, Clifton Forge reverted back to Alleghany County.
Cataloging source
Vi
Label
Clifton Forge (Va.) Deeds
Note
  • These items came to the Library of Virginia in shipments of court papers from the city of Clifton Forge under the accession number 38180
  • The collection is located at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions, and hours
Arrangement
Arranged chronologically.
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
10.0
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Clifton Forge (City) Circuit Court
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001595995
Terms governing use
There are no restrictions.
Type of unit
cu. ft. (10 boxes)

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...