The Resource Cowardin Avenue Christian Church directories and yearbook

Cowardin Avenue Christian Church directories and yearbook

Label
Cowardin Avenue Christian Church directories and yearbook, 1928 and undated
Title
Cowardin Avenue Christian Church directories and yearbook
Inclusive dates
1928 and undated
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Directories and yearbook, 1928 and undated, of the Cowardin Avenue Christian Church of (South) Richmond, Virginia. This collection consists of photocopies of two original volumes. The first volume, an undated directory, contains statistics about Christian (or Disciples of Christ) churches, a ten-point list of "Facts Concerning Our Doctrinal Position," an officer list, and advertisements, in addition to the actual membership list. The church was under the leadership of pastor F. W. Long at the time the directory was printed. The second volume, a directory and yearbook, 1928, contains a history of Cowardin Avenue Christian Church, the church calendar, an officer list, a list of organizations within the church, advertisements, and a list of members. Marion B. Brinson, who was pastor at the time, wrote the foreword to the volume
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Cowardin Avenue Christian Church began with an 1878 initiative of the Young Men's Missionary Society of Seventh Street Christian Church to plant a Disciple Church in Manchester (now part of Richmond), Virginia. The congregation initially met in a room of Owen's Hall on Hull Street, presided over by the Rev. J. Z. Tyler, pastor of Seventh Street Church. In 1889, the Young Men's Missionary Society purchased property at the corner of Cowardin Avenue and Barry Street. They built the church's first building there, dedicated on 16 November 1890. I. J. Spencer was called to be the pastor of the nascent congregation of thirty-one members. On 11 December 1890, the church building was almost entirely destroyed by fire. A new building was dedicated at the same site on 31 May 1891. An addition to the building was made in 1906, and an adjoining dwelling was purchased in 1924 to house the Sunday School. Over the years, the church was headed by pastors C. O. Woodward, F. W. Long, E. B. Motley, and Marion B. Brinson. In 1928, the congregation had grown to include approximately 450 members.
Cataloging source
VIC
Label
Cowardin Avenue Christian Church directories and yearbook
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
43
Governing access note
There are no access restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Bond, Maure
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001587998
Reproduction note
Photocopies.
Type of unit
leaves.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...