The Resource Filmed: Negative, 12-17-65; Positive, 2-15-66

Filmed: Negative, 12-17-65; Positive, 2-15-66

Label
1804-1808
Inclusive dates
1804-1808
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Official letter book of the weapon manufacturer's superintendent John Clarke, covering the period from May 5 1804 through June 25 1808
Member of
Action
Described
Additional physical form
Also available on microfilm (Misc. Reel 405).
Biographical or historical data
  • The Virginia Manufactory of Arms was established by an act passed by the General Assembly on 23 January 1798. The manufactory, which served as an armory as well, opened in Richmond in 1802 and reached full operating capacity by 1809. Its purpose was to furnish the state's militia with standard muskets, pistols, swords, and bayonets. It did its job so well that in December 1822 the General Assembly voted to close it, in part because of an economic recession and the increased use of weapons provided by the federal government. The building fell into disrepair until the machinery from the Harpers Ferry armory was installed in 1861 and the manufactory was leased to the Confederate government. In 1865 the structure was gutted during the Richmond evacuation fire. The remaining walls were pulled down in 1900.
  • John Clarke (ca. 1760-1844) was superintendent of the Virginia Manufactory of Arms, 1798-1809.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Letter book
Label
Filmed: Negative, 12-17-65; Positive, 2-15-66
Note
Filmed: Negative, 12-17-65; Positive, 2-15-66
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000496097
Type of unit
v.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...