The Resource Front Royal Turnpike Company records

Front Royal Turnpike Company records

Label
Front Royal Turnpike Company records, 1848-1874
Title
Front Royal Turnpike Company records
Inclusive dates
1848-1874
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
These records contain letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, certificates of stock subscriptions, and a copy of an act of assembly, covering the years 1848, 1850-1854, 1857-1858, 1864, 1866, 1868, 1871-1872, 1874
Note
Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
Member of
Action
Accessioned
Biographical or historical data
  • An act of the General Assembly approved March 27, 1848 authorized formation of the Front Royal Turnpike Company as a corporation to construct a road from Front Royal in Warren County to some point on the Valley Turnpike. Corporate stock subscriptions were initially set at $15,000, with the Board of Public Works authorized to subscribe $6,000. An amendment passed March 17, 1849 changed the terminus to Newtown on the Valley Turnpike. In March, 1850, Winchester was authorized to subscribe to a capital stock limit of $1,000. The General Assembly also approved the use of plank rather than macadam, and allowed a two year extension for beginning construction and ten years to complete the road. The company had the option to route the road along the county road from Front Royal to Winchester, passing by Nineveh. Capital stock limit was raised from $15,000 to $40,000 at the same time, with the Board of Public Works authorized to hold 3/5. A branch road from the intersection with the Newtown and Berry's Ferry Road to Whitepost was also approved. Capital stock was increased again in February, 1851 by $20,000 to complete the turnpike and construct bridges across each of two branches of the Shenandoah River where the turnpike intersects, and to collect tolls.
  • In January, 1872 the company was authorized to sell the turnpike at public auction. In January, 1896, the General Assembly approved as many as four toll gates on the road which now extended continuously for 11 miles, with 8 1/2 miles in Frederick County, 2 1/2 in Clarke County, to White Post. The turnpike was sold September 25, 1874 to Edmund Purcell, who subsequently sold and conveyed by deed to his heirs (1883). In 1894 a new Board of Directors was approved, including members of the Purcell family, and they were empowered to conduct turnpike business as the corporation had done in the past.
Cataloging source
VIC
Citation location within source
entry no. 262
Citation source
Board of Public Works inventory
Label
Front Royal Turnpike Company records
Note
These records are part of the Virginia Board of Public Works record group (RG#57)
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
64
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
No acquisition information available.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000485560
Type of unit
items.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...