The Resource General correspondence

General correspondence

Label
General correspondence, 1775 September 1 - 1779 May 1; 1788 June 25
Title
General correspondence
Inclusive dates
1775 September 1 - 1779 May 1; 1788 June 25
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
These records contain letters and papers of William Aylett and Thomas Smith, state agents, including documents predating the establishment of the office in 1775; receipts, 1776-1779; accounts and bills of lading, 1776-1779; and assistant state agent accounts and receipts, 1777-1779. Correspondence is chiefly concerning shipments to and from the West Indies, using the ports of St. Eustatius, Netherland Antilles, and St. Pierre, Martinique, major sources of supplies during the 18th century, and Nantes, France. Often mentioned is the firm of Van Bibber and Harrison, colonial agents. Tobacco, pork, and corn were sent to the West Indies, and tobacco and wheat to Europe. In return, the state agents were provided with French guns with bayonets, tent cloth, thread, blankets, medicines, etc. Payrolls for the ships crews list names. An affidavit from June 25, 1788, lists "all of the vessels under the direction of Thomas Smith, late commercial agent." Also includes accounts, receipts and vouchers relating to the activities of assistant state agents Raleigh Colston and Archibald Richardson
Note
These records form part of the revolutionary government records. Agency history VASV90-A1936 describes the Office of the State Agent.
Member of
Action
  • Described
  • Preserve
Additional physical form
Also available on Misc. Reels 650-652.
Biographical or historical data
On August 21, 1775, the third revolutionary convention passed an ordinance establishing the office of state agent and commissary of stores to supervise the procurement, storage, and distribution of supplies needed by the army. William Aylett was appointed to the office. After he resigned in 1777 the office was divided, with Thomas Smith being appointed state agent and William Armistead commissary of stores. In 1776 assistant agents were appointed in Virginia, Europe, and the West Indies to oversee the shipping of supplies, and in 1778 a public store was established at Philadelphia to serve the Continental troops from Virginia. The office of state agent was abolished and was replaced by the Board of Trade by an act of the General Assembly in May 1779.
Cataloging source
Vi
Label
General correspondence
Arrangement
Chronological.
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1.5
Governing access note
Restricted access: use microfilm
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000487219
Type of unit
cu. ft.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...