The Resource Hardy and Winchester Turnpike Company records

Hardy and Winchester Turnpike Company records

Hardy and Winchester Turnpike Company records, 1848-1887
Hardy and Winchester Turnpike Company records
Inclusive dates
These records contain letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, and certificates of stock subscriptions for the years 1848-1854, 1861-1862, 1870, 1887
Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
Member of
Biographical or historical data
  • An act of the General Assembly passed March 5, 1846, authorized formation of the Hardy and Winchester Turnpike as a corporation to construct a road from some point on the waters of the Great Cacapon River in Hardy County, to Winchester in Frederick County. The road was to be no wider than 30 feet, and the company could dispense with a summer or side road and did not need to use gravel or pave the surface. March 4, 1847, and amendment passed extending the road from a point at or west of Fizer's tavern on North Western Turnpike, to Moorfield, in Hardy County, or such other point short of these, instead of the originally designated point.
  • The cost of shares was reduced at this time, from $100 to $50, and the Board of Public Works was authorized to subscribe to 80 shares. Capital stock was increased $6,000 on March 28, 1848, in order to finish the road between the North West Turnpike and Wardensville in Hardy County, and to construct a branch to Capon Springs in Hampshire County. Further increases were approved March 15, 1849, for internal improvement ($1,000), and March 27, 1851 ($4,000) for tollhouses. February 7, 1860, the General Assembly approved changing the location west of Wardensville where it crosses Sandy Ridge, in order to pass through the gap of the ridge.
  • The state's interest in the turnpike was transferred to the Board of Road Commissioners of the Back Creek Magisterial District in Frederick County by an act of the General Assembly passed May 18, 1887. Since the turnpike was constructed about four miles from Winchester to the West Virginia line, the entire road fell within the district, and it had been neglected by the stockholders, who held the minority interest.
Cataloging source
Citation location within source
entry no. 273
Citation source
Board of Public Works inventory
Hardy and Winchester Turnpike Company records
These records are part of the Virginia Board of Public Works record group (RG#57)
  • The Library of Virginia
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
No acquisition information available.
Type of unit

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...