The Resource James City County/Williamsburg (Va.) Court Records

James City County/Williamsburg (Va.) Court Records

Label
James City County/Williamsburg (Va.) Court Records, 1831-1901
Title
James City County/Williamsburg (Va.) Court Records
Inclusive dates
1831-1901
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
James City County/ Williamsburg (Va.) Court Records, 1831-1901 and undated, consist of Court Records: Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery extract of decree for Trustee of Roscoe Cole &c vs. Admr of James Davis &c, 1846; Chancery Court: Admr of E.M.J. Bright vs. Ann S. Mutter, 1858; Clerk's Records: Clerk's fees for services, 1831-1856; Clerk's fees, 1834-1843; Miscellaneous receipts and accounts, 1835, 1838, 1850, 1852, n.d.; List of fees due the clerk from residents of other counties (Gloucester, Matthews, Warwick, York), 1835-1850, n.d.; Settlement of sheriff and sergeant accounts (James City Co. sheriff, York Co. sheriff, City of Williamsburg sergeant), 1836; Sheriff's receipts from residents of other counties (Gloucester, Henrico), 1841, n.d.; Writ, Taxes &c., 1855-1856; Clerk's Correspondence, 1855-1858, n.d.; Clerk's fees insolvents, n.d.; Fiduciary Records: Estate of Joseph C. Hubbard, 1852-1853; Miscellaneous: Agreement between William McMoody and S.T. and S.W. Bowman in re: house building and accounts of payments, 1853-1854; Assignment of claim from Jacob Shook and Robert H. Crockett to J.B. Alexander, 1858; Letter to Judge Smith from Scott Brothers, General Contractors, 1901
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • James City County was named for James I. It was one of the eight shires established in 1634. Parts of New Kent and York Counties were added later. The City of Williamsburg, in James City and York Counties, was established by the General Assembly as Middle Plantation in 1633. After the capitol building at Jamestown burned in 1698, the assembly decided to move the capital of the colony to Middle Plantation, which was renamed Williamsburg in 1699 in honor of William III. Williamsburg was established in 1699 and declared a "city Incorporate" in 1722, although its actual status was that of a borough. It served as the capital of Virginia from 1699 until 1780. Williamsburg was incorporated as a city in 1884.
  • During the Civil War, the records of James City County and Williamsburg were transferred to Richmond for safekeeping but were destroyed by fire in Richmond on 3 April 1865.
Cataloging source
Vi
Location of other archival material
James City County/Williamsburg County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional James City County/Williamsburg County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
Label
James City County/Williamsburg (Va.) Court Records
Note
On loan from Terri Layden, 16 September 2005
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
.45
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Layden, Terri
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001651044
Terms governing use
There are no restrictions.
Type of unit
cu. ft. (1 box)

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...