The Resource John W. Frazier and Bath and Rockbridge Alum Springs Ledger

John W. Frazier and Bath and Rockbridge Alum Springs Ledger

Label
John W. Frazier and Bath and Rockbridge Alum Springs Ledger, 1850-1854
Title
John W. Frazier and Bath and Rockbridge Alum Springs Ledger
Inclusive dates
1850-1854
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • John W. Frazier and Bath and Rockbridge Alum Springs Ledger, 1850-1854, records the financial activities of Frazier and his hotels, two of which were the Bath Alum Spring and the Rockbridge Alum Spring. The ledger documents the accounts of individual customers and employees. Each entry includes the date, type of transaction, and monies credited and debited to the accounts. The early part of the ledger pertains to the accounts of John Frazier's store customers. Customers purchased such items as butter, meal, eggs, sugar, coffee, tobacco, and bacon. Beginning in 1852, the ledger was used to record the business activities of the two alum springs resorts. For Bath Alum Spring, customer accounts document purchases made at the Fairview Store, which sold items such as whiskey, tobacco, sugar, coffee, and cloth. Beginning in 1852, Frazier made entries pertaining to the building project at Rockbridge Alum Spring. Employee accounts document blacksmith work and the buying and hauling of lumber and other building supplies. Also in 1852, customer accounts for hotel customers begin to appear. Transactions document lodging expenses, tavern bills, meals purchased, and livery fees
  • Recorded throughout the ledger are entries pertaining to the hire of slaves. One such entry, mentions the arrival of slaves by name -- Alfred Tyler and Rachel and brother. The remainder of these entries merely include the prices paid for the slave hires
  • In 1853, the ledger was used by William Frazier who took control of John W. Frazier's estate after his death. William Frazier primarily used the ledger to document the settlement of outstanding accounts. Located in the back of the ledger is a detailed listing of inventory on hand at the Fairview Store in 1854. Examples of items in the inventory include china, glassware, spices, medicines, hardware items, and cloth
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
John W. Frazier, born about 1810, was a farmer and hotelkeeper in Bath County and Rockbridge County, Virginia. Frazier owned and operated two mineral springs resorts -- Bath Alum Spring and Rockbridge Alum Spring. Frazier purchased the Rockbridge Alum Spring property, a noted antebellum spa complex, in 1852. Frazier began building on the property in 1852 but died in 1853 before the building project was completed. Frazier's brother William Frazier oversaw the completion of the project, and the final results consisted of a large central hotel building flanked with cottages and supporting service buildings. The resort included a barroom and a building used as a store and post office. The hotel property was converted into a hospital in 1861. After the Civil War, an attempt to revive the spa resort failed and the property was ultimately sold at auction in 1880. Today what remains of the old spa property is owned by the Young Life organization.
Cataloging source
Vi
Label
John W. Frazier and Bath and Rockbridge Alum Springs Ledger
Note
  • This item came to the Library of Virginia in transfers of court papers from Augusta County under the accession number 43658
  • The collection is located at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions, and hours
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Augusta County Circuit Court
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001596145
Terms governing use
There are no restrictions.
Type of unit
v.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...