The Resource Junction Valley Turnpike Company records

Junction Valley Turnpike Company records

Label
Junction Valley Turnpike Company records, 1849-1873, 1897
Title
Junction Valley Turnpike Company records
Inclusive dates
1849-1873, 1897
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
These records contain letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, certificates of stock subscriptions, newspapers clippings, returns of tolls, receipts, accounts, security bonds, and petitions
Note
Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
Member of
Action
Accessioned
Biographical or historical data
An act of the General Assembly passed March 17, 1849, incorporated the Junction Valley Turnpike Company, to make a macadamized road from the town of Buchanan in Botetourt County to Staunton in Augusta County, passing through Lexington in Rockbridge County. Capital stock was set at $60,000, with the Board of Public Works subscribing to $27,000. The Board of Public Works was to appoint an engineer to locate and superintend construction. The company was to be allowed to increase capital up to $40,000 additional. The charter was amended January 19, 1850, to limit the width of the road to 20 ft., and to allow the construction of a plank road rather than macadam. March 20, 1851, an increase was authorized by private subscription for a branch from Lexington to Alum Springs in Rockbridge County, and a branch to the Natural Bridge, and also to allow the town of Staunton to subscribe to stock up to $3,000. March 31, 1853, an increase of $25,000 was approved to complete work to the northern terminus at Staunton. February 25, 1856, an amendment provided that the company was not required to renew plank or macadam which had deteriorated, and that tolls could be collected. December 22, 1857, the Board of Public Works was authorized to buy the turnpike under a decree of the circuit court of Rockbridge County to settle a suit brought by William L. Figgat and others, vs. the Turnpike Company. On March 6, 1873, the Board of Public Works transferred its interest to the counties through which it passed.
Cataloging source
VIC
Citation location within source
entry no. 295
Citation source
Board of Public Works inventory
Label
Junction Valley Turnpike Company records
Note
These records are part of the Virginia Board of Public Works record group (RG#57)
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
.8
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
No acquisition information available.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000485728
Type of unit
cu. ft.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...