The Resource Northwestern Turnpike Company records

Northwestern Turnpike Company records

Label
Northwestern Turnpike Company records, 1823-1900
Title
Northwestern Turnpike Company records
Inclusive dates
1823-1900
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
These records contain letters sent; field notes (1823; 1825; 1831-1833; 1838; n.d.), 60 vols.; maps (1831), 3 items; bridge plans (1838; 1847), 2 items; reports; petitions; contracts; security bonds; copies of court orders; newspaper clippings; receipts and accounts of survey expenses (1832); receipts, payrolls, and accounts of construction expenses; returns of tolls; Letter Book A (Mar 29, 1831-Apr 28,1840); Letter Book B (May 5, 1840-Jun 18, 1851); Minute Book A (Mar 29, 1831-Apr 30, 1835) indexed; Minute Book B (May 4, 1835-Sep 14, 1837), indexed; Minute Book C (Sep 13, 1837-Apr 16, 1847), indexed; Minute Book D (Aug 5, 1847-May 20, 1850), indexed, for the years 1823; 1825; 1831-1861; 1866-1883; 1894; 1896; 1898-1900
Note
Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
Member of
Is part of
Action
Accessioned
Biographical or historical data
An act of General Assembly passed February 27, 1827, approved incorporation of the Northwestern Turnpike Company to construct a road from Winchester to some point on the Ohio River, below the mouths of Muskingham and Little Kanawha Rivers: Joint capital stock was limited to $75,000, with the Board of Public Works authorized to subscribe to $30,000. It was stipulated that the principal engineer was responsible for locating the route, prescribing plans for construction, and providing reports to the Board. Approval for changes in routes through the towns of Romney, Pruntytown, and Evansville was granted from 1832-1834. April 7, 1838, finished and unfinished sections of the road were placed under the direction of the principal engineer, with the approval of the Company, to expedite completion. January 15, 1840, a loan of $11,484 was authorized to complete the bridge on the south branch of the Potomac, and directors were empowered to borrow $7,000 to complete certain sections. March 14, 1842, the width of the road was fixed at 60 feet. During 1848-1849, increases were granted to macadamized sections of the road from the bridge across Valley River in Taylor County, to Parkersburg in Wood County.
Cataloging source
VIC
Citation location within source
entry no. 348
Citation source
Board of Public Works Inventory
Label
Northwestern Turnpike Company records
Note
  • These records are part of the Virginia Board of Public Works record group (RG#57)
  • Indexed
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
9
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
No acquisition information available.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000486144
Type of unit
cu. ft.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...