The Resource Petersburg State Colony commitment papers

Petersburg State Colony commitment papers

Label
Petersburg State Colony commitment papers, 1934-1955
Title
Petersburg State Colony commitment papers
Inclusive dates
1934-1955
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Contains commitment papers for applicants to Petersburg State Colony. The papers include correspondence, psychological evaluations, IQ test results, Children's Bureau reports, juvenile case records, and Department of Mental Hygiene and Hospitals interrogatories, histories and exams. The envelopes that housed the papers contain the patient's name, date of commitment, and date of admission or reason for rejection. Affixed to the papers was a label stating that these cases were "inactive," but a definition of what this means was not included. It appears that some of the committed children were offered acceptance, but whether they were actually received is unclear
Note
  • Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Petersburg State Colony. (Search Petersburg State Colony as author).
  • Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services. (Search Virginia Dept. of Mental Health, Mental Retardation, and Substance Abuse Services as author).
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • During the earliest years of mental health treatment in Virginia, those with mental illness and/or mental retardation were grouped together at the state hospitals. However, during the first few decades of the 20th century an effort was made to move those with mental retardation to separate facilities. In March 1938, the Virginia General Assembly authorized the establishment of a colony for African-American feeble-minded people in Petersburg. The act established the colony as a state institution separate from Central State Hospital, the state hospital specifically for black citizens. Although it was a separate institution, the colony operated on the same grounds as the hospital. Known as the Petersburg State Colony, the new facility was given land located in Prince George County (later partly in Dinwiddie County as well), and assigned the task of admitting mostly younger patients with the propensity for academic and vocational training and future employment. The colony was advised to give preference to "indigent colored children who would be most likely to receive benefit from colony care and training." This often meant that older mentally retarded people were refused treatment, as were those younger patients who showed signs of aggression or other problems that would make them difficult to train.
  • In 1954, the Virginia General Assembly voted to change the institution's name from the Petersburg State Colony to the Petersburg Training School and Hospital. The name was changed again in 1971 to the Southside Virginia Training Center. The facility moved from its original buildings in the early 1960s, but still remains part of the Central State Hospital campus. It continues to specialize in providing services for Virginians with various levels of mental retardation. As a side note, in 1960 the land and structures formally known as the Petersburg Training School and Hospital were transferred to the College of William and Mary for the establishment of a two-year branch campus. In 1961, Richard Bland College opened its doors to students. The original hospital buildings remained, but were converted into classrooms and offices, many of which are still in use.
Cataloging source
VIC
Citation source
Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
Label
Petersburg State Colony commitment papers
Link
http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/lva/vi00942.xml.frame
Note
  • These records are part of the Dept. of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services record group (RG# 38)
  • The Petersburg State Colony commitment papers arrived at the Library of Virginia as part of a larger accession of records from Central State Hospital. Since the two institutions are in close proximity to one another, it is assumed that the records were accidently mixed together at some point in the past. The Petersburg State Colony records remain under the same accession number (41741), but are arranged and described separately from the records of Central State Hospital
Arrangement
Arranged chronologically by year of commitment, and then alphabetically by last name within.
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Cumulative index finding aids
  • Inventory
  • Inventory
Extent
1.6
Governing access note
Commitment papers that are less than 75 years old are closed. The commitment papers contain privacy-protected health information that falls under the purview of the Virginia Public Health Records Act (Code of Virginia, 32.1-127.1:03). The documents will remain closed until 75 years after the date of record creation. Some patient files contain documents dated after the commitment date by which they are filed. The 75-year restriction rule applies to the date of creation for each individual document within the file, not the file as a whole
Immediate source of acquisition
Coake, Linda C., Southside Virginia Training Center, 26317 W. Washington St., Warehouse Building 120, Petersburg, Va.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001588232
Terms governing use
There are no use restrictions.
Type of unit
cu. ft. (5 boxes).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...