The Resource Plan of Ellerslie, alterations and additions, (architectural drawing)

Plan of Ellerslie, alterations and additions, (architectural drawing)

Label
Plan of Ellerslie, alterations and additions, 1910
Title
Plan of Ellerslie, alterations and additions
Inclusive dates
1910
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • These drawings depict one front elevation and one section. The architectural firm of Carneal & Johnston (Richmond, Va.) renovated the Dunlop estate known as Ellerslie in 1910 for then owner David Dunlop III, grandson of David Dunlop (1804-1864) of Scotland and Anna (Mercer) Dunlop (1809-1871) of Virginia, niece of William Henry Harrision, from a towered Italian villa style mansion to a more fashionable Bungaloid mode. This change eliminated the flat roof and added a hipped roof with deep eaves
  • Ellerslie was designed in 1856 by Irish architect Robert Young (1822-1917) of Belfast. Young's design replaced the previous Ellerslie (ca. 1839) which was destroyed by fire in mid-1856. With one interruption, the Dunlop family resided at Ellerslie until 1976. The structue still stands and is on the Virginia Landmarks Register
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • William Leigh Carneal, Jr. and James Markam Ambler Johnston began their firm around 1908 after spending a year working independently out of the same office space. The firm went on to become one of the most prolific and long–established architectural practices in Virginia.
  • Carneal, born in Richmond on October 24, 1881, graduated in 1903 from the Virginia Military Institute. He began his architectural practice around 1906 following a three year stint as a clerk in his father’s company, Sitterding-Carneal-Davis Company. Johnston, born in Rockbridge County on May 18, 1885, studied engineering at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and Cornell University before moving to Richmond in 1906. He worked at the Richmond Cedar Works for one year until he began his own architectural practice.
  • From 1908 until 1950, the firm of Carneal and Johnston (the firm was known as Carneal, Johnston, and Wright from 1928 through 1945, when Oscar Pendleton Wright was a partner) helped to mold the architectural environment of central Virginia, especially Richmond. Responsible for over 1300 buildings, Carneal and Johnston practiced in a wide–range of project types, from the mundane to the monumental. While they did execute some residential buildings, the firm generated a far greater number of public, commercial, and industrial structures. Some of their most notable structures include First Virginia Regiment Armory (1913), the Virginia Mutual Building (1919-1921), the Virginia State Office Building (1922-1923), Saint Joseph’s Villa (thirteen buildings, 1930-1931), the Virginia War Memorial (1932), and various structures on the campuses of Richmond College (now the University of Richmond) and Virginia Military Institute.
  • The firm survived following the founders’ retirements in the 1950s. Subsequent owners were Miles Cary Johnston, James Beck, and Raymond Browder who sold the firm to employees Carlos H. Costas, W. Fred Hughes III, and Kenneth E. Bunch in 1984. In 1999, the surviving firm of Carneal and Johnston merged with Ballou Justice & Upton, Architects, and ceased to exist as an architectural firm.
Cataloging source
VIC
Label
Plan of Ellerslie, alterations and additions, (architectural drawing)
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
2
Governing access note
There are no access restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Map Collection, Library of Virginia
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001570544
Reproduction note
Photocopies.
Type of unit
leaves.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...