The Resource Project documentation files : Architectural drawings and building files

Project documentation files : Architectural drawings and building files

Label
Project documentation files : Architectural drawings and building files, 1988-1997
Title
Project documentation files
Title remainder
Architectural drawings and building files
Inclusive dates
1988-1997
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Contains Project Documentation Files related to the construction of the Library of Virginia & State Records Center. Included are architectural drawings, correspondence, publications, memos, minutes, reports, proposals, photographs, slides, lists, and other sundry items. The files include architectural drawings of the Virginia State Library & Archives by architects Wiley & Wilson, Library of Virginia by architects Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill, and State Records Center by architects Carneal & Johnston. Also included is a plat of the land purchased on the north side of Charles City Road for the construction of the State Records Center in eastern Henrico County. The majority of the collection consists of building files related to the construction of the Library of Virginia. These files relate to shelving, floor plans, furniture, moving, and various construction issues. Noteworthy are project administrator's monthly reports between August 1994 and August 1996 which include photographs of the construction
Note
Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Library of Virginia. (Search Virginia Library of Virginia as author).
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
The Library of Virginia was created by the General Assembly in 1823 to organize, care for, and manage the state's growing collection of books and official records - many of which date back to the early colonial period. The Library occupied rooms on the third floor of the Capitol in Richmond until 1895, when Virginia erected a new Library and office building on the eastern side of Capitol Square. Outgrowing this location, the Library in 1940 moved to a handsome, new art-deco building on Capitol Street, adjacent to City Hall and the Executive Mansion. By the 1990s, space considerations and an increasing dependence on sophisticated new technology led to the construction of a spacious new six-story building at 800 East Broad Street, which opened to the public in 1997. In addition to the main Library building, the Library manages the State Records Center in Henrico County.
Cataloging source
VIC
Citation source
Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
Label
Project documentation files : Architectural drawings and building files
Note
These records are part of the Library of Virginia record group (RG# 35)
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Cumulative index finding aids
Inventory
Extent
6
Governing access note
Access to architectural and engineering plans and drawings of current governmental buildings requires a written request from the prospective user and written authorization from the appropriate authority with the agency occupying the facility
Organization method
Organized into the following series: Series I. Architectural Drawings, 1988-1997 and Series II. Building Files, 1989-1996.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001602300
Terms governing use
There are no use restrictions.
Type of unit
cu. ft. (6 boxes) and 9 oversize rolls.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...