The Resource Resolution regarding volunteers
Resolution regarding volunteers
- Resolution regarding volunteers, 1775 Aug. 25
- Resolution regarding volunteers
- Inclusive dates
- 1775 Aug. 25
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- Contains a portion of a resolution regarding enlistments into regular & minute service
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 616.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
- Resolution regarding volunteers
- These records are part of the Convention of 1776 record group (RG# 89)
- The Library of Virginia
- Cumulative index finding aids
- Accession analysis with list of content
- Governing access note
- There are no restrictions
- Organization method
- Organized into the following series: Series I: Virginia Convention (1775 July 17-Aug. 26).
- Arranged chronologically.
- Terms governing use
- There are no use restrictions.
- Type of unit
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Resolutions -- Virginia
- State government records
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Recruiting, enlistment, etc
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- Virginia, (1775 July 17-Aug. 26)
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Item Resolution regarding volunteers
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/portal/Resolution-regarding-volunteers/xi1g4P_b5w0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Item"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/portal/Resolution-regarding-volunteers/xi1g4P_b5w0/">Resolution regarding volunteers</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>