The Resource [Sketch of column cap for Virginia State Capitol], (architectural drawing)

[Sketch of column cap for Virginia State Capitol], (architectural drawing)

Label
[Sketch of column cap for Virginia State Capitol], ca. 1904.
Title
[Sketch of column cap for Virginia State Capitol]
Inclusive dates
ca. 1904.
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • The provenance of the architectural drawings is unknown. John Kevan Peebles, Noland & Baskervill, and Frye and Chesterman likely submitted these plans to the Capitol Enlargement Committee, ca. 1904. The Capitol Enlargement Committee, created by Act of Assembly (1904, Chapter 62), was the second General Assembly sanctioned body to undertake redesign of the Virginia State Capitol. These drawings represent the Virginia State Capitol prior to the 1904-1906 renovations and additions. There are four copies of these drawings in various formats
  • These architectural drawings were likely transferred with the records of the Capitol Enlargement Committee (LVA Accession 30171) but were separated due to their size
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • John Kevan Peebles (1866-1934) was a native of Petersburg, Virginia, and received his engineering degree from the University of Virginia. In 1892, he began his own firm in Norfolk. Peebles was responsible for many substantial designs including buildings at the University of Virginia and the restoration and remodel of the Virginia State Capitol (with Noland & Baskervill, Fry & Chesterman, 1902-1906). He held the chairmanship of the architectral design board for the Jamestown Tercentennial Exposition in 1907.
  • The firm Noland & Baskervill included William Churchill Noland (1865-1951) and Henry Eugene Baskervill (1867-1946). Noland, a native of Hanover County, Virginia, received his architectural training abroad. After working with Cope & Stewardson of Philadelphia, he began his own practice in Roanoke, Virginia, in 1891. Prior to establishing his own practice, Noland worked in the offices of Marion J. Dimmock. Henry Baskervill, a native of Richmond, studied at Cornell University, and became Richmond City Engineer ca. 1895. Noland and Baskervill formed their partnership in 1897 and won many important commissions, including the restoration and remodel of the Virginia State Capitol (with Noland & Baskervill, Fry & Chesterman, 1902-1906), Temple Beth Ahabah (1902-1094), and Negro Pavillion, Memorial Hospital (St. Phillip's Hospital) (1917-1920). The Noland & Baskervill firm ceased upon Noland retirement in 1917.
  • The firm Frye and Chesterman included Edward Graham Frye (1870-1942) and Aubrey Chesterman (1874-1937). Frye, of Bristol, Tennessee, worked with George Moser in Norfolk, Virginia, around 1886. He established his own office in Lynchburg, Virginia, around 1892. Chesterman, a Richmond native, worked with Richmond architect Marion J. Dimmock, then Noland & Baskervill, before moving to Lynchburg. Frye and Chesterman formed a partnership in 1901. The firm moved to Roanoke, Virginia, in 1913 and continued there until 1921. Some of their commissions include the restoration and remodel of the Virginia State Capitol (with Noland & Baskervill, Fry & Chesterman, 1902-1906), Science Hall, Randolph-Macon Women's College (1904), and the Lynchburg City Market House and Auditorium (1908-1910).
Cataloging source
Vi
Citation source
Kummer, Karen Lang, THE EVOLUTION OF THE VIRGINIA STATE CAPITOL, 1779-1965. Master's thesis, University of Virginia, 1981
Label
[Sketch of column cap for Virginia State Capitol], (architectural drawing)
Note
Located in the LVA General Architectural Files Collection, Folder 54
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Dimensions
13 x 13.5 cm.
Extent
1 sheet
Immediate source of acquisition
Donor information unavailable.
Materials
36585
Other physical details
Pencil and pen and ink on linen
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001503471
Representative fraction of scale
Scale : None noted.
Terms governing use
All requests for reproduction of architectural drawings must be made through the Library of Virginia Photo Services Department.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...