The Resource St. James Episcopal Church vestry minutes

St. James Episcopal Church vestry minutes

Label
St. James Episcopal Church vestry minutes, 1878-1914, 1944-2007 [microform]
Title
St. James Episcopal Church vestry minutes
Inclusive dates
1878-1914, 1944-2007 [microform]
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Vestry minutes, 1878-1914 and 1944-2007, of St. James Episcopal Church in Leesburg, Virginia. The minutes also contain treasurers' reports, committee reports, and resolutions of respect
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
St. James Episcopal Church and Shelburne Parish trace their history in Loudoun County back to the 1700s. The first church in Loudoun County, called the "Chapel of Ease for the comfort of the people above the Goose Creek," was built in 1733, a log structure near the Big Spring about two miles north of Leesburg. No trace remains today of this original church or its graveyard. The first church in Leesburg to be called St. James was completed in 1812 after many years of arguments over its location in the parish. The building was erected on Church Street, and services were held there for 83 years. This new St. James', consecrated in 1838, was further enlarged in 1848, including a vestibule, bringing the front even with the street. The adjacent graveyard of this church may be seen today, and construction of a columbarium was completed in 2011 on this site. The first rectory was located on Loudoun Street between Wirt and Liberty Streets. The original house was built between 1806 and 1810, and served as the rectory from 1839 to 1856. The rectory was the house immediately to the east of the Janney House on Cornwall Street until 2008. In 1895, the cornerstone was laid for the present building. The first service was held in 1897, and it was consecrated in 1905. The building was damaged extensively by a fire in 1929. In the following years, St. James has been expanded several times. The addition of the Fellowship Hall occurred in 1931, and was extended in the 1950s. In 1972, the house beside the church was remodeled and connected to the church by the construction of a stone and glass arcade, and is the location of the church offices, the Janney Parlor, the Preschool office and some of the Preschool classrooms. In 2005, St. James acquired properties along King Street, and in 2007, this acquisition was complemented by the purchase of the Seccombe House located at Wirt and Cornwall Streets, which now serves as the current rectory.
Cataloging source
VIC
Label
St. James Episcopal Church vestry minutes
Base of film
unknown
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Color
black and white
Dimensions
35mm.
Emulsion on film
unknown
Extent
11
Generation
unknown
Governing access note
There are no access restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
St. James Episcopal Church
Organization method
Misc. Reel 6147: 1878-1914, 1944-1949. Misc. Reel 6148: 1960-1976. Misc. Reel 6149: 1977-1985. Misc. Reel 6150: 1985-1987. Misc. Reel 6151: 1988-1989. Misc. Reel 6152: 1990-1991. Misc. Reel 6153: 1992-1993. Misc. Reel 6154: 1994-1995. Misc. Reel 6155: 1996-1997. Misc. Reel 6156: 1998-2002. Misc. Reel 6157: 2004-2007.
Positive negative aspect
negative
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001688537
http://bibfra.me/vocab/marc/reductionRatio
ReductionRatioRange
normal reduction
Reproduction note
Microfilm.
Specific material designation
microfilm reel
Type of unit
reels (Misc. Reels 6147-6157)

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...