The Resource St. Mark's Episcopal Church records

St. Mark's Episcopal Church records

Label
St. Mark's Episcopal Church records, 1866-2000
Title
St. Mark's Episcopal Church records
Inclusive dates
1866-2000
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Records, 1866-2000, of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Richmond, Virginia, including annual meeting reports, audio-visual material, bulletins, clippings, committee files, correspondence, diocesan materials, minutes, newsletters, photographs, registers (baptismal, burial, marriage and membership), and reports related to various aspects of the church. Items of interest include various newsletters produced by the church, including "The Beacon," "The Caller," "The Lion's Tale," and "St. Mark's Beacon."
  • Also of note are the files of two organizations within the church: The Vestry and the Women's group. The Vestry acted as the governing body making decisions about the church and its finances and the Women's group did much fundraising and outreach for the church. The Vestry files include minutes of meetings, correspondence, treasurer reports, as well as other business related materials. The Women's group of the church was known by several titles, including the Women's Auxiliary, the Women of St. Mark's, and finally the Episcopal Church Women of St. Mark's. Their records detail, through correspondence, minutes and treasurer's reports, their volunteer work, fundraising and outreach activities
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Additional physical form
  • also available on microfilm (Misc. Reels 5857-5863).
  • also available on microfilm (Misc. Reel 5857).
Biographical or historical data
  • In 1860, Dr. Joshua Peterkin, rector of St. James's Episcopal Church, felt there was need for an additional Episcopal church in Richmond. He persuaded some members of his own church to help form the new church. A subscription list was started and $5,000 in pledges was collected. With these pledges a lot was purchased on Clay Street. However, these early steps toward formation were halted by the outbreak of the Civil War. After the war, despite the death of many of the subscribers and the poor financial outlook of those who remained, an attempt was made to continue with the formation of the new church. A much needed boost came when an agreement with the Society of Friends was reached by which the lot purchased in 1860 was switched with that of a lot owned by the Society, at the corner of Leigh and Foushee. The Society of Friends also paid an additional $1,600 to St. Mark's as part of the arrangement. With these funds a small church was constructed. On 25 March 1866 the first services were held under the direction of St. Mark's first rector, Thomas Grayson Dashiel. In 1868 St. Mark's was offered a vacant property between Clay and Leigh, by the Executive Committee of the Diocesan Missionary Society, which once housed a mission church. In 1871 the church again moved locations, when it relocated to the corner of Clay and First Streets. A new building was constructed using some materials from the Clay and Leigh property.
  • In 1919 the location of St. Mark's Church again began to be discussed. The idea of a merger with two other local churches, Grace Church and Holy Trinity Church, were debated, but these plans were voted down. In the same year it was decided that the church should move to the west of the city and under the direction of its new rector, Dr. William Smith, the existing church was sold and a new site was purchased on Boulevard. In 1922, after holding services in the Robert E. Lee School, the Church held its first services in the parish hall of its new building at 520 North Boulevard, where it still holds services today.
Cataloging source
VIC
Label
St. Mark's Episcopal Church records
Link
http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/lva/vi02102.html
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Cumulative index finding aids
  • Inventory
  • Inventory
Extent
77.68
Governing access note
For preservation purposes, please serve microfilm copy of Marriage register and Vestry minutes instead of originals (Misc. Reels 5857-5863)
Immediate source of acquisition
  • St. Mark's Episcopal Church
  • Dunston, H. Harwood Jr.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001573170
Type of unit
cu. ft.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...