The Resource Subscriptions for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office

Subscriptions for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office

Label
Subscriptions for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1878
Title
Subscriptions for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office
Inclusive dates
1878
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • These records are part of Treasurer's Office. Special Funds: Lee Monument Association
  • Volumes record names and addresses of subscribers and the amounts of the subscriptions. Series contain: 1, January 19, 1878; 2, January 30-June 14, 1878
Note
Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of the Treasury (Search Virginia Dept. of the Treasury as author).
Member of
Action
Described
Biographical or historical data
  • On October 17, 1870, five days after Robert E. Lee died, the Ladies Lee Monument Association organized in a Richmond parlor. On October 25 the Lee Monument Association formed. By an act of Assembly, January 14, 1871, the Lee Memorial Association incorporated and on January 25 an act incorporated the Lee Monument Association.
  • The Association could raise money by subscription and contribution to acquire a plot of ground on which to erect a monument to Lee, and provide a final resting place for Lee's remains with the assent of members of his immediate family.
  • In May 1886 $3,000 in prizes was offered for the best models by sculptors from America and abroad. In the summer of 1887 Jean Antonin Mercie, a French sculptor, was selected. Otway S. Allen gave land for the site at the end of Franklin Street which became the beginning of Monument Avenue. While masons laid the cornerstone on October 27, 1887, the equestrian statue did not arrive until May 4, 1890. On May 7 Richmond citizens pulled the twelve-ton statue, shipped in pieces, in wagons by ropes from the Broad Street railroad station to the site. General Joseph E. Johnston unveiled the statue on May 29, 1890.
Cataloging source
VIC
Citation location within source
entry no. 118
Citation source
  • Treasurer's Office Inventory
  • Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
Label
Subscriptions for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office
Note
These records are part of the Virginia Dept. of the Treasury record group (RG #12)
Arrangement
Arranged chronologically.
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
2
Governing access note
There are no access restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
Subscriptions for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1878,
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000486759
Type of unit
v.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...