The Resource The original records of accession 40773 were placed on deposit with the Handley Library by their legal owners, the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society | Target titles will not necessarily match collection description

The original records of accession 40773 were placed on deposit with the Handley Library by their legal owners, the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society | Target titles will not necessarily match collection description

Label
1740-1940
Inclusive dates
1740-1940
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
  • engger
  • eng
Summary
  • Records, 1789-1908. The majority of the records were entered after 1840. The few earlier entries, including the title page, are in German, including baptisms, confirmations, and one page of marriages, 1789-1795 (p. 31-35). Also includes a list of communicants, 1804 and a list of baptisms, 1808-1824, that were transcribed from another record book. Administrative entries include minutes, January and February 1840, of the plans to reorganize the church, and details of reopening the church in 1866 and rebuilding in 1873 after the period from 1857 to 1866, during which time the church suffered extensive damage when it was occupied by Federal troops. Other entries include baptisms, 1840-1888; communicants and confirmations, 1840-1887; membership lists, 1840-1885; extensive subscription lists of persons who contributed to the rebuilding of the church; a brief list of deaths, 1874-1886; a brief list of marriages, 1841-1844, 1847-1886; newspaper accounts of the church's dedication, 1906; and a history, 1908. (Accession 20996)
  • Deed, 1750, transferring title of land for a church from Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781) to the Reformed Calvinists. (Accession 40773; Miscellaneous reel 173)
  • Records, 1789-ca.1880. Includes marriage records (in German), 1789-1791; baptismal records, 1809-1812 and ca. 1840-1871; communion registers, 1847-1850; confirmation and reception registers, 1847-1870; death registers, ca. 1850-ca. 1880; and subscription lists. Also contains congregational meeting minutes, n.d., tombstone inscriptions, newspaper clippings concerning the church, and a copy of the 1844 church constitution. (Accession 40773; Miscellaneous reel 173)
  • Parish register, 1892-1923. Within this volume are a list of pastors and dates of service; membership registers, including death dates, received date, and notes; baptismal register, comprising birth date, date baptised and by whom; marriage register, with residences and date and place of marriage; death registers, including age at death, burial date and place; communion register; yearly statistical reports of the church, containing number of members, baptisms, confirmations, communions, deaths, etc.; a copy of the 1850 church constitution; minutes, 1915-1918 of the church consistory; list of member contributions to the 400th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation Fund; and membership and dismission certificates, 1921. (Accession 40773; Miscellaneous reel 173)
  • Proceedings of the consistory and congregation, 1840-1910. Contains minutes for the consistory and full congregation meetings held from 1840-1910. There is also a copy of the 1850 church constitution. (Accession 40773; Miscellaneous 173)
  • Board of Trustees minute book, 1875-1908. Principally consists of Board of Trustees minutes and the names and contributors to the pastor's salary and the church. There are also miscellaneous receipts, promissory notes, and accounts related to church and building expenses and purchases. (Accession 40773; Miscellaneous reel 173)
  • Consistory minute book, 7 November 1922-May 1929. This volume contains the minutes of the church consistory and also includes minutes for full congregational meetings. (Accession 40773; Miscellaneous reel 174)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Originally known as the Reformed Calvinists or German Reformed Church at its founding in 1741 in Kernstown, Virginia, the congregation moved in 1753 to Winchester, Virginia, building a church on land deeded by Thomas Lord Fairfax. The congregation did not remain active, however, and from 1804 to 1840, there are few records of church activity at the church. In 1840, the congregation was reorganized as Winchester German Reformed Church, and the church was repaired. In 1841 the church was renamed the Centenary Reformed Church and a new church building was erected on the present corner of South Cameron and East Cork Streets in Winchester. During the Civil War the church building was converted into a hospital and stable by Union troops. In 1934 the church changed its name to the Centenary Evangelical and Reformed Church and again in 1957 to the Centenary United Church of Christ.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Language note
In English and German
Location of originals duplicates
Originals, which are owned by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, are located in Handley Regional Library in Winchester, Virginia.
Label
The original records of accession 40773 were placed on deposit with the Handley Library by their legal owners, the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society | Target titles will not necessarily match collection description
Note
  • The original records of accession 40773 were placed on deposit with the Handley Library by their legal owners, the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
  • Target titles will not necessarily match collection description
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 1
  • 2
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Crone, Frank L.
  • Handley Regional Library
Materials
  • Accession 20996,
  • Accession 40773
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498886
Reproduction note
  • Photostats (negative)
  • Microfilm.
Terms governing use
Photoduplication restricted. For permission to cite for publication, contact the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.
Type of unit
  • v. (91 leaves)
  • reels. (Misc. Reels 173-174)

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...