The Resource This item came to the Library of Virginia in shipments of court papers from Arlington County | Microfilm reel was generated by Backstage Library Works through the Library of Virginia's Circuit Court Records Program

This item came to the Library of Virginia in shipments of court papers from Arlington County | Microfilm reel was generated by Backstage Library Works through the Library of Virginia's Circuit Court Records Program

Label
1796-1810
Inclusive dates
1796-1810
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
William Hodgson Account Book, 1796-1810, records the personal, legal, and business financial transactions of William Hodgson with individuals and businesses in the United States and Great Britain. Information found includes name of individual or business, place of residence, date of transaction, item bought or sold or service rendered, and amount owed or paid. There are alo entries related to properties owned by Hodgson in the city of Alexandria, counties in western Virginia, and Kentucky
Member of
Action
Described
Biographical or historical data
  • William Hodgson was a native of White Haven, England, born in 1765; emigrated to America, and settled in Alexandria, about the year 1785. In 1790, Hodgson bought a house on Prince Street. After his marriage to Portia Lee in 1799 he used this house both as a drygoods store and dwelling until 1816. For about twenty-five years he was a prominent citizen and merchant of Alexandria. He died at Bellevue, his residence, near Alexandria, November 8, 1820, aged 55 years. For some years prior to his death he was a vestryman of Christ Church, Alexandria, and was interred in the cemetery of that church.
  • The account book was found in the Columbian Insurance building by William Hodgson's son William L. Hodgson in 1838.
  • Arlington County was originally named Alexandria County. It was formed from a portion of Fairfax County that Virginia in 1789 ceded to the federal government for use as the site of a new national capital. In 1801 the area officially became part of the District of Columbia, although Congress named it Alexandria County. By an act of 9 July 1846, Congress returned the county to Virginia, and the General Assembly extended the commonwealth's jurisdiction over the region effective 20 March 1847. By an act of assembly passed 16 March 1920, the county's name was changed to Arlington, the name of the Custis family mansion (the home of Robert E. Lee), which is located in the county. An urban county, Arlington contains no incorporated towns or cities.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
William Hodgson Account Book
Label
This item came to the Library of Virginia in shipments of court papers from Arlington County | Microfilm reel was generated by Backstage Library Works through the Library of Virginia's Circuit Court Records Program
Note
  • This item came to the Library of Virginia in shipments of court papers from Arlington County
  • Microfilm reel was generated by Backstage Library Works through the Library of Virginia's Circuit Court Records Program
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 1
  • 1
Governing access note
There are no restrictions
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Arlington County Circuit Court
  • Backstage Library Works
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000499290
Terms governing use
Use microfilm copy, Arlington County (Va.) Reel 270.
Type of unit
  • v.
  • microfilm reel.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...