The Resource Tredegar Iron Works (Richmond, Va.) photographs

Tredegar Iron Works (Richmond, Va.) photographs

Label
Tredegar Iron Works (Richmond, Va.) photographs, n.d
Title
Tredegar Iron Works (Richmond, Va.) photographs
Inclusive dates
n.d
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Photographs, n.d., of the Tredegar Iron Works (Richmond, Va.). Three photographs are exterior views of the cannon foundry prior to its twenty-first century restoration. The last is an artist's rendering of the iron works grounds indentifed as the "Richmond Armory."
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • Tredegar Iron Works was chartered in 1837 in Richmond, Virginia, to produce high-quality iron products. In 1848 Joseph R. Anderson purchased the company and developed it into one of the most important and largest iron making factories in Virginia and the Confederacy. The company produced horseshoes, munitions, and railroad products, along with owning several furnaces and timber lots. During the Civil War, Tredegar produced artillery pieces, cannons, shot, and weapons for the Confederacy, including the iron plates for the CSS Virginia (Merrimac). After the war the company continued to grow and supplied iron bridges, rails, and spikes to rebuild the southern railroads.
  • As iron gave way to steel in the 1870s and 1880s, Tredegar found it did not have the capital necessary to make the production conversion. Tredegar continued to make iron products, producing munition for the Spanish American War, World War I, and World War II. Spikes, horseshoes, rail fastenings, and car wheels were constant sellers and led to expanded facilities. In 1957 the company sold its Richmond plant to the Albemarle Paper Manufacturing Company, and moved some of its rolling mill equipment to Chesterfield County, Virginia. In 1986 operation of the rolling mill in Chesterfield County was discontinued and the machinery was sold to the Cleveland Track Material in Cleveland, Ohio. In 2003 the Tredegar National Civil War Center Foundation was created to operate a museum on the original site of the foundry in Richmond, Virginia.
Cataloging source
VIC
Location of other archival material
  • Tredegar Iron Works records, 1801-1957 (LVA Acc. 23881, 24808).
  • Tredegar Iron Works records, 1845-1865. (LVA Acc. 25744).
  • Tredegar Iron Works records, 1857-1935. (LVA Accession 26601).
  • Tredegar Iron Works minutes, 1876-1879. (LVA Acc. 33052).
Label
Tredegar Iron Works (Richmond, Va.) photographs
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
4
Governing access note
There are no access restrictions
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001583237
Type of unit
items.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...