The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1663-1931
Inclusive dates
1663-1931
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Register, 1663-1814, including listings of births, marriages, and deaths, records of the Overseers of the Poor (1843), and Processioners' records (1796-1817). For a printed copy, see THE REGISTERS OF NORTH FARNHAM PARISH, 1663-1814, AND LUNENBURG PARISH, 1783-1800, RICHMOND COUNTY, VIRGINIA, by George Harrison Sanford King, 1966. Marriages recorded in the register were published in MARRIAGES OF RICHMOND COUNTY, VIRGINIA, 1668-1853, by George Harrison Sanford King, 1964. The earliest dates identify the records as being of Farnham Parish, Old Rappahannock County. The original parish register cannot be located. The two transcripts copied for the Library of Virginia were made at different times. The earlier transcript was written in the eighteenth century. The later transcript is authenticated by the clerk of court in Richmond County as being a true copy of the parish register filed in his office. Two photostatic copies (Accession 19965 and 26274) of the earlier transcript were made and a microfilm copy of the later transcript was made (Richmond County reel 66). Copies of twenty-two pages in the later transcript on microfilm were bound with one photostatic copy of the earlier transcript (Accession 19965) to replace pages filed out of order in that transcript. Records of the Overseers of the Poor (1843) and Processioners' records (1796-1817) were included in the later transcript on the microfilm copy. (Accession 19965; 26274; Richmond County reel 66)
  • Vestry book, 1834-1931. This is a composite of four groups of vestry minutes which cover the following dates: (1) 31 March 1834-25 January 1860; (2) April 1880-27 November 1889; (3) 19 December 1917-16 October 1922; (4) 7 January 1929-7 July 1931. In March 1920, the Reverend F.D. Goodwin introduced a proposal to restore Farnham Church, which had burned on Easter Monday 1887. References are made to a national campaign through which $10,000 was received for the restoration. Accession 30112 is the manuscript copy of this volume. (Accession 24674)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Farnham Parish was formed in 1656 in the area of Lancaster County which became Old Rappahannock County in 1656. The county and parish were coterminous, embracing areas on both sides of the Rappahannock River. In 1683 Farnham Parish was divided into North Farnham Parish and South Farnham Parish, the two separated by the natural boundary of the river. In 1692 Old Rappahannock County was disbanded with the creation of Richmond and Essex counties from its territory. North Farnham Parish was located in Richmond County and South Farnham Parish in Essex County.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 3
  • 1
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Berlin, J.H.
  • Murphy, W. Tayloe
  • King, George H.S.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498672
Reproduction note
  • Microfilm.
  • Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
  • v.
  • reel.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...