Inclusive dates
  • Vestry book, 21 February 1744-20 October 1806 and 30 April 1826-9 August 1860. These minutes are especially complete for the early years. Processioning records, 1747-1784, are also entered. Records are lacking for the period 1807-1825. Accession 30114 is the manuscript copy of this volume. For a published copy see, ST. JAMES NORTHAM PARISH VESTRY BOOK, 1744-1850, GOOCHLAND COUNTY, VIRGINIA, by William Lindsay Hopkins, 1987.(Accession 19761)
  • Records, 1848-1910, consisting of four different volumes located on one microfilm reel. 1) Grace Church register, 1892-1903, containing records of births, deaths, marriages, and confirmations. 57 pages; 2) St. Paul's, Beaverdam, and Trinity Churches register, 1849-1865, containing records of births, deaths, marriages, and confirmations as well as church business. 64 pages; 3) St. Thomas' Church register, 1877-1898, containing records of births, deaths, marriages, and confirmations. Also includes a brief history of the church and a list of communicants; 4) Parish history and register, 1877-1898, including a history of the parish from its founding to 1890, and registers of births, deaths, marriages, and confirmations from various churches within the parish. 143 pages. (Accession 33402; Misc. reel 1080)
Member of
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
  • Henrico Parish was divided in 1720 resulting in the creation of St. James Parish. When Henrico County was divided in 1728 for the formation of Goochland County, St. James Parish fell into the new county. In 1744, by an act of the General Assembly, Goochland County was divided and Albemarle County was formed. By the same act St. James Parish was divided into three parishes. That part in Albemarle County was to be known as St. Anne's Parish; that part still in Goochland and north of the James River was to be known as St. James-Northam Parish; and that part on the south side of the James was to be known as St. James-Southam Parish.
  • The bounds of St. James-Northam have not been altered since 1744, except for the creation of Dover Parish in 1763. All of the churches covered by these records, except for Grace Church, are defunct and have been absorbed by that church.
Cataloging source
Form designation
  • The Library of Virginia
  • 1
  • 1
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Virginia Theological Seminary
  • Episcopal Theological Seminary Library
  • Burgess, Seth
Reproduction note
  • Microfilm.
  • Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
  • reel.
  • v. (145 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...