Inclusive dates
  • engger
  • ger
  • Register, 1865-1907, containing baptisms, 1865-1894 (p. 7-127) and 1895-1907 (p. 200-232); marriages, 1856-1906 (p. 128-189); confirmations, 1898-1907 (p. 190-198) and 1868-1897 (p. 360-381); communion services, 1896-1907 (p. 244-248) and 1886-1895 (p. 384-386); deaths, 1890-1907 (p. 250-296) and 1866-1890 (p. 301-359); and collections, 1886-1894 (p. 382-383). This register is in German with only a few entries in English, but the arrangement is such that the German is not hard to follow. (Accession 29635a)
  • Register, 1907-1938, containing baptisms, 1907-1938 (p. 1-42); confirmations, 1908-1937 (p. 133-156); marriages, 1907-1938 (p. 157-177); deaths, 1907-1938 (p. 193-229); and attendance at communion, 1908-1937 (p. 241-243). The title page and subject headings are in German. (Accession 29635b)
  • Protokoll books, 1871-1920, consisting of five volumes: 1) Protokoll book, 5 January 1871-4 December 1887; 2) Protocoll (sic) book, 28 October 1883-July 1888; 3) Protokoll book, 1 January 1888-6 December 1891; 4) Protokoll book, 15 April 1898-9 May 1920; 5) Sunday School Protokoll book, 8 June 1871-23 October 1892. Protokoll books are essentially minute books, including minutes, business accounts, and contribution lists. Parish activities such as various feastdays and bazaars are described and liturgical directions and references to Sunday school meetings are also recorded. These volumes are written in German with the exception of Protokoll book, 1898-1920, which contains English entries from 1918-1920. Protokoll book, 1898-1920, also includes at the end forty-five loose items that relate to all aspects of church administration, such as accounts, budgets, correspondence, and the relocation of the church. Available only on microfilm. (Accession 30078a-e; Misc. reel 624)
Member of
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
St. John's Evangelical German Lutheran Church was the first Protestant German congregation in Richmond. Organized in 1843, the church remained independent until 1873, when it joined the German Evangelical Synod of North America as St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church. Over the years, the congregation built three churches. The first church was erected in 1847 on North Fifth Street. The second church was built in 1881 at 8th and Marshall Street, and the third church was built in 1928 at Franklin and Lombardy Street. In 1957, a movement was afoot that called for a merger of the Evangelical and Reformed, the Congregational, and the Christian congregations. St. John's Church supported the merger, but did not formally accept the plan until 1962, at which time the church's name changed to St. John's United Church of Christ.
Cataloging source
Form designation
Language note
In English and German
Location of originals duplicates
St. John's United Church of Christ,
  • The Library of Virginia
Cumulative index finding aids
Detailed item listing
  • 1
  • 2
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Cheek, Richard A., Rev.
  • St. John's United Church of Christ
Reproduction note
  • photostats (negative).
  • microfilm.
Type of unit
  • reel.
  • v. (249 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...