The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1779-1880
Inclusive dates
1779-1880
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Vestry book, 24 May 1779-19 April 1880. Minutes show the concern of the vestry in maintaining the parish and its churches and in retaining a minister. Some entries of orders for processioning appear, but there are no references to Overseers of the Poor. A brief, but nearly illegible history of the parish appears on pages 121-123 of the vestry book. A list of subscribers for the building of St. Mark's Church, 1788, is filed at the end of this volume. The manuscript copy of this list is filed as Accession 27167
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Lexington Parish, created in 1778, was derived from Amherst Parish. Amherst Parish was formed in 1761 from St. Anne's Parish, Albemarle County, when the county of Amherst was cut from Albemarle. After 1778 Amherst County had two parishes until 1808 when Nelson County was formed from Amherst. As of that date Amherst Parish became extinct when Nelson County unofficially gave its own name to its parish. The name Amherst Parish, however, was revived in 1876 when Lexington Parish was divided and the second parish was given the name Amherst.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Vestry book
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1
Immediate source of acquisition
Episcopal Seminary of Virginia
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498668
Reproduction note
Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
v. (64 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...