The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1817-1867
Inclusive dates
1817-1867
Title variation
Early records of Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church, Page County, Virginia
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Records, 1817-1867, containing baptisms, 1817-1856, confirmations, and communicants. No lists of confirmations and communicants appear between 1822 and 1851. This volume is a typescript and translation of the original German records begun in 1817 by Philip Somer. Compiled by the Reverend William J. Finck, 1929
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
The establishment of Mount Calvary Lutheran and German Reformed Church, previously known as Hawksbill Church and Gomer's Church, is unknown. However, the church used a pewter communion set, bearing the date 1727, one year after the first settlement at Massanutten. In a deed, dated 1765, John Schwarbach and his wife, Margaret, conveyed three acres of land near Luray, Virginia to the trustees of Hawksbill Church, thereby providing the site for the present church. Originally a union church, in 1822 the union dissolved and the Lutherans acquired the property, erecting the present church in 1848. Mount Calvary Church was the mother church of five Lutheran congregations in Page County: Morning Star, Beth Eden, St. Mark's, St. James, and Grace. The congregation became inactive in 1959.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1
Immediate source of acquisition
Baker, Joseph W.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498855
Reproduction note
Photocopies.
Type of unit
v. (68 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...