The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1784-1915
Inclusive dates
1784-1915
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Includes four volumes of minute books, an account book, and five deeds. The first volume of minutes covers the years 1824 to 1844. Membership lists appear on pages 3-17 (Accession 26297). The second volume covers the years 1868 to 1879. Resolutions of respect concerning the church are entered on page 191. Membership lists appear on pages 1-4, 179-184, and 188-190. The third volume of minutes covers the years 1880 to 1896. It begins with the constitution and by-laws of the church, followed by the rules of decorum and a membership list. Membership lists appear on pages 10-15 and 272-276. The fourth volume of minutes dates from 1896 to 1915. It includes a list of officers, rules of decorum, membership lists, and minutes. Membership lists appear on pages 11-19. (The second, third, and fourth volumes are Accession 29968)
  • The account book is for the year 1895, and lists male and female members of the church and indicates the amount of money paid for an unknown cause. It also contains copies of receipts to the treasurer of the church (Accession 31342)
  • There are also five deeds, dating from 1784 to 1860, which record transfers of land owned by the church (Accession 28288)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
  • Described
  • Described
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Founded in 1778 by William Hickman, Skinquarter Church is the second oldest continuous Baptist congregation in Chesterfield County, Virginia. The first church was built on Hickman's farm in 1778, the same year he was ordained a Baptist minister. In 1836, the church withdrew from the Middle District Baptist Association and joined several other conservative local churches to form the Zoar Association. In 1848, it rejoined Middle District. The present church building was constructed in 1890, with additions made in 1974. For more information see, HICKMAN'S HALF-ACRE: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF SKINQUARTER BAPTIST CHURCH, 1778-1978, AND CEMETERY INTERMENT RECORDS, 1880-1917, by George Andrew Beadles, Jr., and Harriette Mooring Horner, 1978.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 14
  • 5
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Hackley, Woodford B., Dr.
  • Beadles, George A., Moseley, Virginia
  • Cooke, C.H., Rev.
  • Sims, Lynn L.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000496369
Reproduction note
photocopies.
Type of unit
  • leaves.
  • v.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...