The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1760-1892
Inclusive dates
1760-1892
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Session book, 1760-1840, containing minutes which cover the period, 30 May 1803-July 1840 and record administrative matters, discipline of members, struggles to retain a minister, admission of new members, baptisms of infants and adults, and death notices. Also includes a list of praying families, showing dates when began, 1775-1828; persons baptized, 1789-1840, with some family data; members' names, showing death dates and other data; sessional reports to the Hanover Presbytery, 1801-1839; and a historical sketch, containing data on the founding of Hampden-Sydney College, written by the Reverend James Douglas, who became minister in 1828. The baptisms, 1789-1840, have been transcribed in THE SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIAN, vol. 1, no. 3 (April 1983): pp. 103-123. The membership lists have been partially transcribed in THE SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIAN, vol. IV, no. 1 (October 1985): pp. 32-45. (Accession 20586)
  • Session book, 1840-1892, containing minutes which cover the period, September 1840-27 April 1879; a record of congregational meetings; membership lists, showing death dates and other data; baptisms, 1841-1892; statistical reports, 1841-1859; and corrected roll of members, 1864-1892. The minutes until 1850 periodically contain references to the handling of slaves, whom the church bought in 1766 for hiring out to raise money (Accession 20587)
  • Treasurer's book, 1840-1847, including entries that deal primarily with collections for the hiring of slaves. In 1766, the church adopted a plan that called for the purchase of three male slaves and three women slaves to hire out and raise money to support a regular minister. (Accession 23834)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Briery Presbyterian Church was organized between 1755 and 1760. The first house of worship was built about 1760. In 1840, New School members of the church left and organized Douglas Presbyterian Church. In 1855, the present structure was erected by Robert Lewis Dabney. For more information see, BRIERY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 1755-1980, by Ellen Mercer Maxwell, 1980.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
3
Immediate source of acquisition
Eggleston, J.D., Dr.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498964
Reproduction note
Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
v. (156 leaves and 225 p.).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...