The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1800-1892
Inclusive dates
1800-1892
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
  • engger
  • eng
Summary
  • Records, 1800, 1804-1892, including baptisms, 1804-1892, in German until ca. 1833; members, [1800?]-1880; subscribers for the building of the church, 1800; subscribers for the organ, 1816; register of deacons, 1805-1843; and church officers, 1843-1879. (Accession 23598a)
  • The church records of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Wytheville, Virginia, 1800-1836. This volume is a translation of the German entries in Accession 23598a, but do not appear in the same order. Translated and typed by the Reverend Dr. William J. Finck, 1935. (Accession 23598b)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in Wythe County, Virginia in 1798. Although it was not the first German church in the area, it was said to be the most influential because of the strong ministry of its first Lutheran minister, the Reverend George D. Flohr. In 1804, a new church was established for the shared used of the Evangelical Lutheran congregation and the Reformed congregation, a union which appeared to be short-lived. In 1924, after years of declining membership, St. John's Church disbanded and united with Holy Trinity Lutheran.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Language note
In English and German
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
2
Immediate source of acquisition
Kegley, F.B.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498878
Reproduction note
photostats (negative).
Type of unit
v. (122 leaves and 74 p.).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...