The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1678-1948
Inclusive dates
1678-1948
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Includes two copies (known as the Lee copy and the Robins copy) of the original Abingdon Parish register, 1678-1780, as well as a typescript of the Lee copy, a compiled index to both, and a copy of a later parish register. The original register was burned in 1916 in a fire at the "Roswell," the home of Judge Fielding Taylor. Judge Taylor was serving as registrar of the parish. Three copies of the register are known to exist. This collection contains two of them
  • Accession 19737 is the Robins copy of the register. It is believed to have been made by Mrs. Sallie Nelson Robins, and its date is uncertain
  • Accession 25106 is the Lee copy of the register. It was made by Charles H. Lee, Jr. at the direction of Dr. Lyon G. Tyler in 1892. It appears to carry entries for the same years as those missing in the Robins copy, therefore it is generally regarded as the more nearly correct copy of the original. Accession 31688 is a typescript of the Lee copy
  • Accession 20770 is an index to the Lee copy and Robins copy of the original register. It is known as the Thruston index. It is a full name index, and gives page number references to the Lee copy and Robins copy (designated as Vol. I and Vol. II, respectively)
  • Accession 30217 is a later register, dated 1869-1948. It includes lists of rectors, families, baptisms, confirmations, communicants, marriages, and burials (For entries for the years 1830-1867, see Accession 19991, Ware Parish Register, 1830-1916)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Abingdon Parish was created ca. 1652, along with three other parishes: Kingston, Petsworth, and Ware. In 1791, Mathews County was formed from Gloucester County, with the bounds of Kingston Parish and Mathews becoming coterminus. Abingdon and Ware parishes maintained a close relationship, and Ware Parish did not assume a separate organization until 1867.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Registers
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
5
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Virginia Historical Society
  • Thruston, R. C. Ballard
  • The College of William and Mary
  • Bodie, Charles A.
  • Skelton, Dortha H.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000496100
Reproduction note
photostats (negative).
Type of unit
v.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...