The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1789-1888
Inclusive dates
1789-1888
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Register, 1789-1816, recording baptisms, marriages, and funerals during the ministry of the Reverend James Muir. (Accession 20078)
  • Register, 1814-1888. Recorded on pages 1-125 are lists of elders to 1884; communicants, 1816-1888; and baptisms, 1866-1888. This volume contains an additional ten pages at the end which includes lists of baptisms, 1818-1859; funerals, 1818-1853; and marriages, 1819-1861. A note at the end of the marriages reads that the newly organized government of Virginia began operations in April 1862 and that Doctor Harrison did not have authority of the new government to conduct marriages because he refused to recognize it. (Accession 20079)
  • Register of baptisms, marriages, and funerals, 1789-1861. This volume is a transcript of records from Accession 20078, Register 1789-1816, and Accession 20079, Register 1814-1888. Certain omissions follow: from Register, 1789-1816, some of the E entries and funeral entries for P and Y; from Register, 1814-1888, marriages, 1819-1833. (Accession 23966)
  • Session minutes, 1816-1881, including minutes which cover the period, 3 March 1816-7 April 1861 and 8 July 1865-11 December 1881. These minutes are sessional records and do not include membership lists. Through 7 April 1861, the minutes are entered periodically and in great detail. Although no session minutes exist from 1861-1865, there are brief entries for 1863-1865, which concern the services of the interim ministers at the church. (Accession 21528)
  • Minutes of committees, 1816-1865, including minutes which cover the period, 9 January 1816-4 September 1865. These minutes are of the committees which managed the financial affairs and other practical matters of the church. (Accession 21527)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
The First Presbyterian Church had its beginning in 1772. A meetinghouse was built in 1774. Originally known as the Presbyterian Church at Alexandria, in 1817 it became the First Presbyterian Church when part of the congregation withdrew to form the Second Presbyterian Church. For more information see, THE OLD PRESBYTERIAN MEETING HOUSE AT ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA, by William B. McGroarty, 1940 and CAN THESE BONES LIVE? by William Randolph Sengel, 1973.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
5
Immediate source of acquisition
  • First Presbyterian Church
  • McGroarty, W.B., Mrs.
  • Howard, Anita
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498979
Reproduction note
  • photostats (negative)
  • photocopies.
Type of unit
v. (496 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...