The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1828-1837
Inclusive dates
1828-1837
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Sessional record, 1828-1837, including minutes which cover the period, 25 June 1828-1 April 1837, and record numerous lists of members received, dismissals, and baptisms, but very little church administrative matters. Also includes a name index compiled by staff of the Library of Virginia
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
The New Providence Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1746 by the Reverend John Blair under the care of New Castle Presbytery of the New Light Synod of New York. In 1748, a log meeting house was built and in 1753 the congregation received its first minister, Reverend John Brown. In 1755, the congregation was transferred from New Castle Presbytery to Hanover Presbytery. The New Providence congregation and the Timber Ridge congregation shared a minister and a meeting house until around 1767, when each congregation built a separate church and Reverend Brown asked the Presbytery for a dismissal from Timber Ridge. New Providence came under the care of Lexington Presbytery when it was formed in the late 1780's and was the sight of the first meeting of the Virginia Synod in 1788. In 1812, a brick church was built. A new church was completed in 1859. For more information see, A HISTORY OF THE CHURCH AND CONGREGATION OF NEW PROVIDENCE, by Ebenezer D. Junkin, 1871 NEW PROVIDENCE CHURCH, 1746-1996, by Katharine L. Brown, 1996.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Sessional record
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
1
Immediate source of acquisition
Viereckt, L.H.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498997
Type of unit
v. (80 p.).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...