The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1723-1894
Inclusive dates
1723-1894
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Vestry book, 4 January 1723/24-28 September 1772. The first entries are processioners' records. Vestry minutes begin with 5 June 1724. The two types of records alternate throughout the volume. Until 30 December 1734, the parish is referred to as Upper (or Warrosquyoake Parish). After this date the parish is referred to as Newport Parish. Birth records, 1705-1757, transcribed from an early parish register, now lost, appear on pages 223-228. Accession 30111 is the manuscript copy of this volume. Also available on Misc. reel 649. For a published copy see, SUFFOLK PARISH VESTRY BOOK, 1749-1784, NANSEMOND COUNTY, VIRGINIA AND NEWPORT PARISH VESTRY BOOK, 1724-1772, ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY, VIRGINIA, by William Lindsay Hopkins, 1988. The birth records are transcribed in part in, SEVENTEENTH CENTURY ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY, VIRGINIA, by John B. Boddie, 1938 and THE SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIAN, vol. 4, no. 2 (January 1986), p. 92. (Accession 19758)
  • Christ Church vestry book, 18 April 1836-December 1894. Minutes are preceded by a manuscript, "Historical Sketch of the Origin and Progress of Newport Parish, Isle of Wight County, Virginia, 1606-1826," by John R. Purdie, who was the secretary of the church from the 1850's through July 1878. Minutes appear to be transcribed, but no explanation is given. Treasurers' Reports, 1870-1875, follow the minutes. (Isle of Wight County reel 50)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Warrosquyoake was the original name of Isle of Wight County and also the name of the first parish for the county. The exact date of the change of name is not known. In 1643 the parish was divided into Upper and Lower parishes, or Warrosquyoake Parish and Newport Parish, respectively. In 1734 the parishes were merged and became known as Newport Parish north of the Blackwater River and Nottoway Parish on the south side of the river. The latter parish became part of Southampton County when that county was formed in 1749.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 2
  • 2
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Edwards, R.A.
  • Vestry, Newport Parish
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498671
Reproduction note
  • Microfilm.
  • Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
  • v.
  • reels.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...