The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1786-1876
Inclusive dates
1786-1876
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
  • engger
  • eng
Summary
  • Records, 1786-1876, consisting of two registers, one for the Reformed congregation and one for the Lutheran congregation, bound together. A distinct title page appears for each register. The register of the Reformed congregation (94 pages) contains baptisms, 1788-1853, 1856, 1876, in German until 1820, in German and English, 1820-1828, and in English following 1828; and communicants and confirmations, 1789-1853, in German until 1820, in German and English, 1820-1828, and in English following 1828. From 1789-1793 the ages of the confirmands are entered. Also includes certain administrative entries such as accounts and election records of the elders and deacons intermittently from 1832 to 1852. The register for the Lutheran congregation (163 pages) contains baptisms, 1786-1876, in German until 1820, in German and English, 1820-1828, and in English following 1828; and communicants and confirmations, 1791-1876, in German for the most part through 1827, although English appears from 1821. The majority of the baptisms are recorded in a section entitled Baptism Book. In later years, baptisms and lists of communicants are entered together. Also includes certain administrative records such as accounts, election records, 1797-1865, and a petition concerning the church land. At the end of the film are a number of unidentified miscellaneous entries, some of which are in German. Available only on microfilm. (Accession 29828; Misc. reel 418)
  • The parish register, Zion Lutheran Church, Shenandoah County, 1786-1827. This volume is a translation and transcription of the German in the Lutheran register of Accession 29828, Register, 1786-1876. Includes translations of baptisms, 1786-1827; communicants, 1791-1827; dedication of the church; and title page. Translated and transcribed by George M. Smith and Ilse M. Martin, 1966. Not available on microfilm, this volume is bound with Accession 26628b. (Accession 26628a)
  • The parish register, Zion Reformed Church, Shenandoah County, 1788-1827. This volume is a translation and transcription of the German in the Reformed register of Accession 29828, Register, 1786-1876. Includes translations of baptisms, 1788-1827; communicants, 1789-1827; dedication of the church; and title page. Translated and transcribed by George M. Smith and Ilse M. Martin, 1966. Not available on microfilm, this volume is bound with Accession 26628a. (Accession 26628b)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Zion Lutheran and German Reformed Church in Shenandoah County, Virginia, also known as Edinburg Church, was organized sometime before 1786. On 9 January 1781, Lord Fairfax granted land to German Lutherans in the Stoney Creek area. The Lutheran and German Reformed congregations built a church together, which was dedicated 22 June 1788 by a minister from each denomination. In 1892, the Reformed congregation withdrew to build a separate church nearby.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Language note
In English and German
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 2
  • 1
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Smith, George M., Rev.
  • Eisenburg, William E.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000496056
Reproduction note
  • microfilm.
  • photocopies.
Type of unit
  • v. (134 p.).
  • reel.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...