The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1797 December 23
Inclusive dates
1797 December 23
Title variation
Executive Communications
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
Contains a letter from Governor James Wood, in Council, to [John Wise], Speaker of the House of Delegates, enclosing letters, a report, and plat regarding the resolution of the General Assembly passed on 26 December 1796 "to ascertain the most eligible situation in the City of Richmond or its vicinity, for an Arsenal and Manufactory of Arms." According to the Governor, John Clarke was appointed for surveying and levelling the water necessary for the works. Wood mentions that Clarke surveyed a small piece of land lying on the margin of the James River Canal belonging to John Harvie and Samuel Overton for the use of the Manufactory. Wood encloses Clarke's report & plat of the area selected by him, a copy of a letter from the Governor and the Directors of the James River Company, and a letter from Clarke to the Governor
Note
  • Forms part of the General Assembly, House of Delegates, Speaker, Executive communications collection.
  • Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia General Assembly, House of Delegates, Speaker. (Search Virginia General Assembly House of Delegates as author).
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Additional physical form
Also available on microfilm
Biographical or historical data
  • The Virginia Manufactory of Arms was established by an act passed by the General Assembly on 23 January 1798. The manufactory, which served as an armory as well, opened in Richmond in 1802 and reached full operating capacity by 1809. Its purpose was to furnish the state's militia with standard muskets, pistols, swords, and bayonets. It did its job so well that in December 1822 the General Assembly voted to close it, in part because of an economic recession and the increased use of weapons provided by the federal government. The building fell into disrepair until the machinery from the Harpers Ferry armory was installed in 1861 and the manufactory was leased to the Confederate government. In 1865 the structure was gutted during the Richmond evacuation fire. The remaining walls were pulled down in 1900.
  • The Virginia Manufactory of Arms produced and repaired thousands of weapons and employed hundreds of artisans. Two supervisors - John Clarke (1798-1808) and John Staples (1809-1821) - oversaw the operations of the factory.
Cataloging source
Vi
Citation source
Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
Form designation
Letters, report, and plat
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Cumulative index finding aids
Inventory
Extent
8
Immediate source of acquisition
House Speaker's Office
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
001502868
Type of unit
leaves.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...