The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1790-1926
Inclusive dates
1790-1926
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Vestry book, 1 May 1790, 16 April 1827-20 March 1926. This vestry book is a transcription said to have been made by the Reverend Stephen O. Southall, rector, whose resignation, 20 March 1926, ends the volume (p. 220). The minutes are far from complete and are interspersed with miscellaneous entries. Page 176 lists Raleigh Parish vestrymen, 1749-1777, and Nottaway Parish vestrymen, 1749-1887. For many years the minutes refer to Grub Hill Church, the mother church of the parish. In 1852 there was some effort to change the name of the church and a new building was consecrated as St. John's Church. Later, however, Bishop Meade concurred in the wish of the parishioners to revert to the name Grub Hill. (Accession 20788)
  • Vestry book, 1 May 1790, 16 April 1827-6 April 1895. Records which appear here seem to be those used in the transcription above; however, certain discrepancies are noted. The dates assigned to the volume do not agree, but the entry of 1 May 1790 appears in each volume. For research, Accession 20788 is probably better. Accession 25665 is the manuscript copy of this volume. (Accession 24268)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Raleigh Parish was formed in 1735 from Bristol Parish when the county of Amelia was cut from Prince George County.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Vestry books
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
2
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Southall, Valentine W.
  • Southall, Valentine W., Judge
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498735
Reproduction note
Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
v. (207 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...