The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL

!UNKNOWN LABEL

Label
1824-1883
Inclusive dates
1824-1883
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Includes two minute books. The first covers the period from January 1824 to July 1843. The first few pages of this well organized volume are missing. The constitution of the church, recorded on pages 107-109 as approved on 22 June 1839, replaced the constitution adopted in 1786 which had been "lost or mislaid." Membership lists appear on pages 152-160
  • The second volume covers the period from December 1865 to May 1883. This is a well organized volume, but the first few pages have been lost. The minutes are difficult to read in places. Although pages 147-149 contain an assessment of members for the support of the church, names to complement the assessments on pages 147 are missing. Membership lists appear on pages 15-16
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Nomini Baptist Church was organized on 29 April 1786. By 1809 it was reported to have the largest membership of Baptist churches in Virginia, 875 members, many of whom were slaves. This church was the mother church of many of the Baptist churches in Westmoreland, King George, and Richmond Counties. For more information see, NOMINI BAPTIST CHURCH: 200 YEARS, 1786-1986, by John and Frances Smith, 1986.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Minute books
Label
!UNKNOWN LABEL
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
2
Immediate source of acquisition
Healy, Edith
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000493563
Reproduction note
Photostats (negative).
Type of unit
v. (159 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...