The Resource William E. Cameron poems
William E. Cameron poems
- William E. Cameron poems, ca. 1875-1927
- William E. Cameron poems
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1875-1927
- Poems, ca. 1875-1905, by William E. Cameron (1842-1927), in the form of transcriptions with handwritten corrections. The poems are titled "Fitzhugh Lee," "A Winter Scene," and "Parepa Rosa."
- Biographical or historical data
- William Evelyn Cameron was born 29 November 1842 in Petersburg, Virginia, to Walker Anderson Cameron and Elizabeth Page Walker Cameron. He attended local schools, then a military academy in Hillsboro, North Carolina. Cameron briefly attended Washington College in St. Louis, Missouri, and received an appointment to the United States Military Academy before the Civil War began. When the war started, he abandoned his preparatory studies for West Point and joined the Confederate army, serving throughout the war. After the war, Cameron returned to Petersburg, where he began practicing law. However, he decided to pursue a career in journalism and edited newspapers in Petersburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, Virginia. Cameron served as mayor of Petersburg from 1876 to 1882. He was elected governor of Virginia as a member of the Readjuster Party and attempted to implement its program of debt reduction and providing some racial integration in certain areas. After his term as governor ended in 1886, Cameron briefly left Virginia, before returning and resuming a career in politics as more conservative politician. Cameron represented Petersburg in the constitutional convention of 1901-1902. He served as editor of the Norfolk VIRGINIAN-PILOT from 1906 to 1919. Cameron married Louisa Clarinda Egerton (1846-1908) 1 October 1868, and they had three children. Cameron died 25 January 1927 at the home of one of his sons in Louisa County, Virginia, and was buried at Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg.
- Cataloging source
- William E. Cameron poems
- The Library of Virginia
- Governing access note
- There are no access restrictions
- Immediate source of acquisition
- Donor information unavailable.
- Type of unit
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Item William E. Cameron poems
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/portal/William-E.-Cameron-poems/YZ-BA9XvYJ4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Item"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/portal/William-E.-Cameron-poems/YZ-BA9XvYJ4/">William E. Cameron poems</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>