The Resource (microform)

(microform)

Label
1849-1969
Inclusive dates
1849-1969
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Records, 1849-1898 (bulk 1880-1887), including the minutes of the meetings of the council and the congregation. Interspersed throughout the minutes are membership lists and lists of baptisms, confirmations, and deaths. Also includes synodical and subscription lists for the pastor's salary and the erection of St. James Church, and financial accounts common to church administration. The earliest and latest dates refer to two accounts inserted at random. (Accession 29851; Misc. reel 586)
  • Record book, 1887-1936, including membership lists, showing some death dates; baptisms, lacking some of the usual information recorded in German church records; minutes of the council, 18 March 1887-12 January 1936, which met quarterly at Zion or St. James' church or at Hermitage Chapel, a church built jointly by Lutherans and Methodists; subscription lists; contributions and accounts; and the church constitution of 8 June 1907. Also includes loose papers, 1880-1969 (see Accession 28584d). The index or table of contents to this volume lists subjects that do not have entries. (Accession 28584a; Misc. reel 514, Item 1)
  • Record book, 1897-1934, including an index or table of contents; the church constitution; membership lists with name, name of father, date of entering, date of withdrawal, and date of death; baptisms, 1897-1933; confirmations, 1899-1933; marriages, 1898-1916; burials, 1897-1928; communicants, 1900-1909; and a subscription list, 1924, for the Orphans Home building. Also contains loose papers, filmed following the records entitled, "Annal of the Congregation," including certificates of membership and notes from meetings (Accession 28584b; Misc. reel 514, Item 3)
  • Register, 1934-1951, containing an index; the complete constitution of Zion-St. James' Church; membership lists, including information as to when and how removed; baptisms, 1934-1950, with birth dates and names of parents; marriages, 1935-1951, excluding parents' names; confirmations, 1934-1949, with names of parents. (Accession 28584c; Misc. reel 514, Item 4)
  • Miscellaneous papers, 1880-1969, found laid in Accession 28584a, Record Book, 1887-1935. Includes birth records, 1919, 1927-1930; membership lists, 1965 and undated; list of officers and committees, 1969; correspondence, 1880, 1923-1924, 1926-1927; council minutes, 1936; treasurers' reports, 1927, 1936; newspaper clippings, 1893, [1898?], [1912?]; church newsletters, 1946-1949; receipts; and other items relating to the congregation's life. (Accession 28584d; Misc. reel, Item 2)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Zion St. James is said to have had its beginning ca. 1823 as a Lutheran and German Reformed congregation. The first building was erected in 1825 near the town of Waynesboro. In 1881 the congregation built St. James's Church several miles away on Barren Ridge, Fishersville, to accommodate the members in that area. The church existed for some years as one congregation with two buildings. New sanctuaries were dedicated by Zion Church in 1895 and by St. James's in 1912. In 1951 the congregation voted to disband in order to organize separate congregations.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
(microform)
Base of film
unknown
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Dimensions
35mm.
Extent
2
Generation
service copy
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Hughes, Robert T., Rev.
  • Hughes, Robert T., Rev.
Positive negative aspect
negative
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000495945
http://bibfra.me/vocab/marc/reductionRatio
-
ReductionRatioRange
unknown
Reproduction note
Microfilm.
Specific material designation
microfilm reel
Type of unit
reels.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...