The Resource (microform)

(microform)

Label
1834-1927
Inclusive dates
1834-1927
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Stewards' book, 1834-1852, containing lists of receipts and expenditures, lists of persons giving to the church and items purchased, a list of church officials for the years, 1842-1846 and 1848-1849, and class lists. (Accession 32499)
  • Records, 1872-1927, including registers, 1872-1893 and 1893-1927, containing listings of officials, church members, baptisms, marriages, and deaths; and a membership book, 1892-1895. (Accession 33812)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Around 1801 a Methodist meeting house was built in Fredericksburg. Originally part of the Stafford Circuit, Alexandria District, Baltimore Conference, the city was first listed as a Methodist station in 1802. In 1804, however, due to declining membership over internal disputes, Fredericksburg again became part of the Stafford Circuit, not becoming a station again until 1815. John Kobler, credited with founding of the Methodist Church in Fredericksburg, built another meeting house in 1822. In 1840, the trustees purchased a lot on Hanover Street to build a Methodist Church, which was believed to have been completed toward the end of 1841. This church divided into two factions in 1848; one faction maintained allegiance with the Methodist Episcopal Church and the other faction became part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, which was established in 1844 over the slavery issue. The Methodist Episcopal Church, South built a church on George Street in 1852. In 1866, the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church voted to become part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, paving the way for a reunion between the two churches. The George Street Church disbanded and merged with the Hanover Street Church. Initially, the congregation used the George Street Church, leaving the Hanover Street Church vacant. Around 1882, the old Hanover Street Church was torn down and a new church was erected. For more information see, JOHN KOBLER'S DREAM: A HISTORY OF THE FREDERICKSBURG UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, 1802-1975, by John Janney Johnson, 1975.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
(microform)
Base of film
unknown
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Color
black and white
Dimensions
35mm.
Emulsion on film
diazo
Extent
2
Generation
service copy
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Johnson, John J.
  • Donor information unavailable.
Organization method
  • MISC. REEL 1000: Stewards' Book, 1834-1852, and List of Church Officials, 1842-1846, 1848-1849;
  • MISC. REEL 1096: Registers, 1872-1893, 1893-1927, and Membership Book, 1892-1895.
Positive negative aspect
negative
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000496421
http://bibfra.me/vocab/marc/reductionRatio
||
ReductionRatioRange
unknown
Reproduction note
Microfilm.
Specific material designation
microfilm reel
Type of unit
reels.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...