The Resource (microform)


Inclusive dates
  • Register, 1843-1855, containing a list of probationers, 1843-1852; a membership roll, 1844-1855, by classes, with some death dates and baptismal dates; and a record of pew assessments by location in the church, but no renters' names. (Accession 29839b; Misc. reel 378)
  • Official Board minutes, 1 January 1856-1 September 1860. These minutes record meetings of the administrative body of the church and contain reports that are primarily financial. Also includes lists of the circuits and stations in the district, 1858 (p. 47) (Accession 29839e; Misc. reel 377)
  • Official Board minutes, 8 September 1860-5 January 1864, including financial reports. The constitution of the Union Station Tract Society is recorded at the end of this volume. This society was an auxiliary of the Tract Society of the Virginia Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, whose purpose was to circulate publications sanctioned by the denomination. (Accession 29839f; Misc. reel 377)
  • Official Board minutes, 1 December 1863-30 November 1869, including primarily financial reports, but also other committee reports. The meeting of 29 December 1863 records an appeal for provisions for soldiers at Howards Grove Hospital. (Accession 29839g; Misc. reel 377)
  • Church Conference minutes, 27 May 1866-11 September 1872. These meetinges were held monthly to receive reports on the condition of the church according to the information class leaders, stewards, and Sunday School officers supplied. Does not include any membership rolls. (Accession 29839d; Misc. reel 378)
  • Quarterly Conference minutes, 19 July 1866-15 November 1880. These meetings are fully reported, showing names of officers present at each meeting. Reports occasionally named new members received, removals and deaths. At the end of the minutes are eight pages of Confederate records, unidentified as to the source. (Accession 29839a; Misc. reel 378)
  • Sunday School minutes, 22 May 1859-25 August 1867 and 18 August 1867-28 May 1876, recording the school's administration as reported to the superintendent by teachers and officers. Also includes resolutions of respect for certain recently deceased persons. Does not include membership lists. (Accession 29839h-i; Misc. reel 377)
  • Pew book, 1866-1870, containing the records of pew holders and amounts collected from each renter. (Accession 29839c; Misc. reel 378)
  • MANUAL OF UNION STATION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, VIRGINIA CONFERENCE, RICHMOND, 1899. This volume is a membership list containing names and addresses. Not available on microfilm. (Accession 29595)
Member of
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
Union Station Methodist Church emerged from a series of prayer meetings held in Union Hill Chapel in 1835, from which a Methodist society was organized. The society, comprised of a hundred former members of Trinity Church, nineteen former members of Manchester Church, and two former members of Centenary Church, was formally recognized as a church at the 15 November 1843 session of the Virginia Annual Conference. The congregation worshipped in Asbury Chapel on 25th Street from 1844 until 1854, at which time a new church was built at 24th and Nelson Streets. This building was demolished in 1893 for the construction of a larger and more modern edifice, which was occupied until 1951 when the church moved to the city's West End and changed the name to Reveille.
Cataloging source
Form designation
  • The Library of Virginia
black and white
Emulsion on film
  • 2
  • 1
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Williams, G.S.
  • Committee on History and Records, Reveille Methodist Church
Positive negative aspect
Reproduction note
  • microfilm.
  • photocopies.
Specific material designation
microfilm reel
Type of unit
  • reels.
  • v. (39 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...