The Resource (microform)

(microform)

Label
1739-1976
Inclusive dates
1739-1976
Creator
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Vestry book, 1739-1876, containing minutes covering the period 27 December 1819-16 April 1827 and 8 April 1833-17 April 1876 (p. 112-147); and processioners' returns, 25 July 1739-1 October 1779 (p. 1-111). The vestry minutes, 1819-1827, were apparently copied into the processioners' book from certain loose papers found among the papers of Warner Lewis of "Lewis Level" (see the beginning of the minutes). There is a gap between 1827-1833, but later records were added and continued with some regularity except during the Civil War. In 1864 a lengthy discourse was added concerning the attitude of the church toward the effects of the war on the church. The minutes record the building of St. Paul's Church in 1838 and St. John's Church in 1849. Meetings of the vestry were held in the two churches after the latter date. Also available in photostat. (Accession 19990; Misc. reels 577, 649)
  • Register, 1825-1870, 1875, containing baptisms, marriages, funerals, confirmations, and accounts. Also entered are certain records of Lunenburg Parish (Richmond County, Va.), Christ Church Parish (Lancaster County, Va.), and Cople and Washington Parishes (Westmoreland County, Va.), by the Reverend John P. McGuire, who was minister in both South Farnham and St. Anne's Parishes in 1826. Some of the marriages entered here are not included in, INDEX TO MARRIAGES OF OLD RAPPAHANNOCK AND ESSEX COUNTIES, 1655-1900, compiled by Mrs. Eva Wilkerson, 1953. (29866a; Misc. reel 577)
  • Register, 1870-1901, and Vestry minutes, 1877-1896. Register (p. 1-249) includes list of ministers, 1871-1901, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and communicants, identified with St. John's Church or St. Paul's Church. Communicants of Immanuel Church of St. Stephen's Parish (King and Queen County, Va.) are also listed. Vestry minutes (p. 300-332) cover the period from 15 January 1877-17 April 1896. (Accession 29866b; Misc. reel 577)
  • Register, 1871-1925, of St. John's Church and St. Paul's Church, including list of rectors, communicants, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and families. (Accession 29866c; Misc. reel 577)
  • Register, 1901-1961 (bulk 1925-1948), of St. John's Church and St. Paul's Church. Contains records and historical data, 1825-1959, communicants, baptisms, confirmations, burials, and marriages. Includes index. (Accession 29866d; Misc. reel 577)
  • Register, 1948-1966, 1976 of St. John's Church and St. Paul's Church. Contains list of rectors, historical data, communicants, baptisms, confirmations, burials, and marriages. Includes index. (Accession 29866e; Misc. reel 577)
  • Register, 1882-1938, 1974, of St. Luke's Church. Includes names of vestrymen, 1882-1908, families, baptisms, confirmations, communicants, marriages, burials, schedules of worship services, and offerings. A reference to a transfer of membership appears in the list of communicants. (Accession 29866f; Misc. reel 577)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
  • Described
Biographical or historical data
South Farnham Parish was formed in 1683 by the division of Farnham Parish of Old Rappahannock County into North Farnham Parish and South Farnham Parish, separated by the Rappahannock River. In 1692, Old Rappahannock County was disbanded to create Richmond and Essex Counties, and South Farnham Parish became part of Essex County. The parish included the churches of St. John's, St. Luke's, and St. Paul's. St. John's Church was built in 1838. St. Paul's Church was erected in 1849. St. Luke's Church was originally Union Grove Church, a Union Baptist Church built before the Civil War. Near the end of the Civil War, the church's Baptist minister changed his denomination and was ordained an Episcopal minister. He was permitted to hold services in the old church, which was consecrated as St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church, South Farnham Parish, in 1882.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
(microform)
Base of film
unknown
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Dimensions
35mm.
Extent
2
Generation
service copy
Immediate source of acquisition
  • Brydon, G. MacLaren, Dr.
  • Bailey, Theodore H., Rev.
Positive negative aspect
negative
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000495913
http://bibfra.me/vocab/marc/reductionRatio
-
ReductionRatioRange
unknown
Reproduction note
  • Microfilm.
  • photostats (negative).
Specific material designation
microfilm reel
Type of unit
reels.

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...