The Resource (microform)

(microform)

Label
1860-1953
Inclusive dates
1860-1953
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • Register of members and probationers, 1860-1883, containing membership lists for the following classes or churches in Amelia Circuit: Tabernacle, Oak Grove, Providence, Giles, Bethel at Jetersville, Amelia Court House, Moore's, Poplar Hill, Ann Augusta, Promise Land, Chappel Hill, Salem, St. John's, Rural Shade, and Shiloh. Also includes a register of traveling preachers, 1860-1869, and a register of local preachers, 1860, 1869-1883 (p. V). Since this register was not maintained during the Civil War, a gap appears for the years 1862-1864. Also available on microfilm, see Misc. reel 1062, Item 5. (Accession 27921)
  • Church registers, 1916-1953, consisting of two volumes. The first volume is a Jetersville Methodist Church register, 1916-1952, containing pastors (one entry), and membership lists. The second volume is an Amelia Circuit Church register, 1928-1953, containing pastors, 1928-1949; marriages, 1928-1953; infant baptisms, 1929-1953; and membership lists for the following churches: Trinity, Moore's, Jetersville, Tabernacle, and Providence. (Accession 33335; Misc. reel 1057)
  • Quarterly Conference minutes, 1867-1880, recorded in three volumes. The first volume covers the period, 2 March 1867-24 July 1880. The second volume covers the period, 17 December 1881-the first quarterly meeting of 1885. The third volume covers the period 17 December 1887-27 October 1891. Each volume includes reports, presented in a question and answer format, of the state of the church and Sunday Schools, and complaints. The first volume includes a memoriam for Joseph M. Scott who died on 17 April 1877 (p. 93), and a list of churches in the conference and how much each pays to support the ministry. The second volume has been badly damaged and is one-third destroyed. (Accession 33336; Misc. reel 1058)
  • Quarterly conference minutes, 1891-1903, recorded in three volumes. The first volume covers the period, 22 December 1891-24 August 1895 and contains the roll of members, minutes (in a question and answer format), and reports. The original copy has been badly damaged and all of the pages have missing and illegible sections. The second volume covers the period, 11 January 1896-20 September 1899. The third volume covers the period, 6 January 1900-the third quarter, 5 August 1903, and contains the official roll of 1889-1900. (Accession 33337; Misc. reel 1059)
  • Quarterly Conference minutes, 1904-1926, recorded in four volumes. The first volume covers the period, 23 January 1904-23 September 1907. The second volume covers the period, 11 January 1915-23 October 1918 and has been badly damaged by water and fungus growth. The third volume covers the period, 29 January 1919-3 September 1922. The fourth volume covers the period, 22 November 1922-9 October 1926. Each volume contains an official roll and minutes which appear in a question and answer format. (Accession 33338; Misc. reel 1060)
  • Quarterly Conference records, 1927-1940, recorded in four volumes. The first volume covers the period, 17 January 1927-6 October 1930. The second volume covers the period, 1930-1934, and has been badly damaged by water and fungus growth. The third volume covers the period, 2 December 1934-19 September 1938, and includes a resolution concerning John Wythe Frayers upon his sudden death. The fourth volume covers the period, 2 January 1939-14 October 1940. Each volume contains an official roll, minutes which appear in a question and answer format, and statistical and financial reports. The statistical report includes totals of members, baptisms, deaths, and buildings. (Accession 33339; Misc. reel 1061)
  • Records, 1860-1940, including Church Conference records, 1907-1940, Register of members and probationers, 1860-1880, and Complete Church register, 1887-1895. The Church Conference records, recorded in four volumes, include minutes in a question and answer format for the following churches: Amelia Court House, Trinity, Jetersville, and Moore's. The first volumes contains the minutes of Amelia Court House, 6 January 1907-22 February 1910 and Trinity, 26 June 1917-10 October 1926, with the minutes for 7 October 1923, 7 May 1923, and 3 August 1924 inserted at the end. The second volume contains the minutes of Jetersville, 21 February 1917-25 April 1927. The third volume contains the minutes for Moore's, 20 January 1926-27 October 1940, with the minutes of 23 September 1923 inserted at the end. The fourth volume contains minutes of Trinity, 10 February 1926-the first session of 1927. The Register of members and probationers, 1860-1880, lists black members, traveling and local preachers, and members at the churches of Tabernacle, Oak Grove, Providence, Giles, Bethel at Jetersville, Amelia Court House, Moore's, Poplar Hill, Ann Augusta, Promise Land, Chappel Hill, Salem, St. John's, Rural Shade, and Shiloh. Accession 27921 is the photocopy of this register. The Complete Church register, 1887-1895, lists deaths, baptisms, and marriages. Also includes church conference minutes for Poplar Hill, 26 December 1892; Salem, 26 December 1892, and St. John's, 1 January 1893. (Accession 33340; Misc. reel 1062)
  • Church registers, 1896-1928, consisting of six volumes. The first volume covers the period, 1896-1906, and includes pastors; marriages, 1896-1905; baptisms, 1897-1905, and membership lists for the churches of Amelia Court House, Moore's, Jetersville, Tabernacle, St. John's, and Providence. The second volume covers the period, 1904-1907, and includes pastors, 1903-1905; marriages, 1904-1907, 1954; baptisms, 1904-1906; and membership lists for the churches of Amelia Court House, Providence, Jetersville, Tabernacle, St. John's, and Moore's. The third volume covers the period, 1906-1916, and includes pastors, 1906-1909; marriages, 1906-1916, baptisms, 1907-1916; and membership lists for the churches of Amelia Court House, Trinity, Jetersville, Moore's, Providence, St. John's, and Tabernacle. The fourth volume is a register for Moore's Church covering the period, 1906-1918, and including pastors, 1906; marriages, 1907-1918; baptisms, 1907-1918; membership lists, and an annual summary of member statistics. Also includes a brief list of members, 1941-1951, revised October 1953 by Pastor F.M. England. The fifth volume is a register for Tabernacle Church, 1906-1917, including pastors, 1906-1917, marriages, 1906-1908; baptisms, 1909 (only two entries); and membership lists. The sixth volume covers the period, 1916-1928, and includes pastors, 1916-1926; marriages, 1916-1928; baptisms, 1917-1927, and membership lists for the churches of Trinity, Moore's, Tabernacle, Jetersville, and Providence. Also contains several loose items including a Quarterly Conference report, 6 February 1928 and a pamphlet entitled, "The Unfinished Task in the World." (Accession 33341; Misc. reel 1063)
Member of
Action
  • Accessioned
  • Accessioned
Biographical or historical data
  • Amelia Circuit was formed around 1776 from the Brunswick Circuit, the oldest Methodist circuit in Virginia. It became a member of the Virginia Conference when that conference was established in 1785 and belonged to the Farmville District. The churches in Amelia Circuit included, among others: Ann Augusta Chapel, Bethel Methodist Church, Jetersville Methodist Church, Moore's Methodist Church, Oak Grove Church, St. John's Methodist Church, Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, Tabernacle Methodist Church, and Trinity Methodist Church.
  • Ann Augusta Chapel was built before 1842 by Tom Pride as a memorial to his daughter. In 1842, the chapel was moved to Amelia Court House. In 1860, a second wood church was built and Ann Augusta Chapel became a private home. This second church became Amelia Court House Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1911 a brick structure was erected and the named changed to Trinity Methodist Church.
  • Bethel Methodist Church was built around 1881 after Samuel Seay deeded land to F.R. Farmer, A.C. Tucker, and C.C. Farley for the construction of a Methodist church. A new church was built on another site around 1913. Fire destroyed this church in December 1948 and a new structure was built in 1949.
  • Jetersville Methodist Church was organized in the late nineteenth century by the families of T.J. Foster, J.E. Foster, R.B. Warriner, David Bailey, and Smithey.
  • Moore's Methodist Church was established around 1806 in an old tobacco barn donated by Abel Moore and was originally part of the Mecklenburg Circuit. In 1857, the old church was in such need of repairs that a new church was built.
  • St. John's Methodist Church can trace its beginning to 1860 from the Methodist community around Dennisville who worshipped at "Litte Creek Church" In 1894, the congregation swapped the land on which the old church stood for new land. Afterwards, the congregation bought a church building and moved it to the new land, naming the church St. John's Methodist Church.
  • Salem Methodist Episcopal Church was established from Oak Grove Church in 1878-1879 and was located near Mannboro on land owned by John Anderson Gills. In 1916, the church was dismantled and sold due to a land dispute.
  • Tabernacle Methodist Church was built in 1814 on land donated by Edward Worsham and his wife. In 1906, the church was renovated and in 1960, four classrooms were added.
Cataloging source
Vi
Form designation
Records
Label
(microform)
http://library.link/vocab/branchCode
  • The Library of Virginia
Extent
  • 7
  • 1
Immediate source of acquisition
  • W.J. Barrow Restoration Shop
  • Donor information unavailable.
http://library.link/vocab/recordID
000498928
Reproduction note
  • photocopies.
  • microfilm.
Type of unit
  • reels.
  • v. (125 leaves).

Library Locations

    • Library of VirginiaBorrow it
      800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA, 23219, US
      37.5415632 -77.4360805
Processing Feedback ...